Blog Comments

Dean and I went crayfish diving at Hangklip recently - each got two decent Ones. Then we took our rods and targeted the mullet. we found four small lots that we're not interested, but the next school was actively feeding and took both our surface and subsurface flies with abandon. Between the two of us we caught 25 in about an hour and a half. I was fishing a surface and subsurface fly and caught about 80% on my trusty subsurface fly. Biggest around 33 cm, but I got broken up a few times by bigger fish. Man did we have fun!
    Hi Niel
    I am planning to go through to Veldrift in the next few days. Do you know of any good areas there.
    Hi Niel,
    Won't you post some pics of your sand flea and other mullety fly patterns please?
    Hi Donald,
    A 9# is way too heavy and will take all the fun out of the excercise. The 5# will work fine, but anything lighter will be better! I use a Sage 0# and the mullet fight like king fish on my 10#.
    Regards
    Niel
    Hi Niel
    I am going to hold you to this. Which weight rod should I bring? I have a 9# and a 5#
    Donald,
    I should be in Cape Town - if you give me a shout closer to the time I will give you some flies and tell you where to use it!
    Regards
    Niel
    Thanks Niel I have been searching around here on the forum and came across an article called "Electric Blue Action" which is on catching striped mullet on fly. It also states these fish are normally found along the East coast. I am heading down to Yzerfontein in December and would love to try for some of these exciting fish
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald B
    Would love a SBS for those flies
    Hi,

Several people wanted details of these flies. I am waiting for my daughter to return end November - hopefully she has a good close-up lens as mine is useless. Watch this space!

Regards
    Niel
    Would love a SBS for those flies
    OK, that did not seem to work. Has anybody tried to insert images from Dropbox before?
    A typical mullet - some are smaller and some are larger! The larger ones fight strongly on a light rod (I use a 0# Sage)
    Hi Mick,

OK, I will try to photograph them and post them, as well as the sand hoppers.

Monday afternoon after work Dean and I fished for about 1.5 hrs and caught nearly 20 between us. He outfished me this time. Silly mistake - I did not get any takes for about 10 min and then realised I was fishing without any flies - it broke of in the dune vegetation! Never mind, he was nailing them - this after the first outing when he used hoppers as bait! The cheat!. That is how you learn. Mmm, wonder if he really used flies this time???
    Regards
    Niel

Quote Originally Posted by Mick
    Hi Neil ,I am very interested in your mullet flies.I haven't had much success with my flies.
    What are sand hoppers?
    Could possibly post the tying instruction.
    Many thanks.
    Mick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback - I will try to photograph the flies. They are very easy to tie - I will give some brief pointers. You can see a pink version in the photo I posted in the Blog. They actually seem to like the pearl / white colour better.
    Regards
    Niel
    Hi Neil ,I am very interested in your mullet flies.I haven't had much success with my flies.
    What are sand hoppers?
    Could possibly post the tying instruction.
    Many thanks.
    Mick.
    Hi, Went out with Dean Impson for a short mullet session Sunday afternoon. Due to other commitments we arrived just after high tide - not ideal, but better than nothing. We only managed to fish for about 2 hour before the water got too low. Yesterday we both only used floating sand flea (hopper / amphipod) imitations. We could see quite a few of the takes and had great fun - he used a Orvis 5# and I used my Sage 0#. I landed 11 and lost quite a few others. Dean cannot count - he was too excited - but landed about 7 or 8. Next time we will be there 2 hours before high tide. Regards Niel Malan 5.8.2013
    I have not yet been able to try my luck at our mullets after your update, but thanks for all the tips thus far. It has opened my eyes to a diffrent approach to them.
    Interesting story Niel, can't wait for the photo's. It sounds like creating a feeding zone with the hoppers is a must in this endeavour.
    I have tried for the normal mullet without any success here in Knysna.
    Your story lends a different aproach to the species, thank you.

Brian
    Hi,

Currently I basically use three methods:

1) I attach 2 - 3 slow sinking shrimp flies to my leader - about 30 cm apart. I cast these out on a floating line and just keep in touch with the flies i.e. a very slow strip till I feel the take;
    2) Using a similar setup, but using floating flies - they look a bit like white or grey beetles/hoppers. Sometimes you will see the take on these, but more often just feel a hard "smash take"; and
    3) Using a dry fly, such as a larger hopper/beetle, and a slow sinking shrimp fly 20 cm underneath.

With option 1; don't let the flies sink too deeply, as most takes appear to be near the surface - say 20 to 50 cm below surface. Leaving it too long will cause it to sink through the "prime" feeding zone. Rather recast. I do not think this technique will work in all cases for mullet, but I have also caught mullets on these slow sinking shrimp flies in the shallows in the Breede River without chummming with live hoppers.In fact, I have huge confidence in this simple fly and have caught a large number of species on it, including blacktail, streepies, mullet, flagtails, small kingies, stone bream, moonies, small leeries, small shad etc. I sometime tie these behind a larger fly, but if there is no big fish around I have some fun with this fly "collecting species".

When I go out again I am thinking of using a strike indicator/ large dry fly with 1 or 2 sinking flies directly underneath it and a second indicator / dry fly at the end of the leader with one or two floating flies. I will let you know if it worked.

Let me know if you figure out your mullets. I have tried a variety of "algae flies" made out of marabou without much success - chartreuse, dark olive, pink.

I will also add some photos of the flies soon.

Regards
    Niel
    Updated 10-07-13 at 11:36 AM by Niel Malan
    Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan
    Hi,
    I need to make a plan to get a close-up lens as the photos I tried was a bit pathetic. My daughter arrives back in 3 weeks time. I will try her camera. I tie them on Gamakatsu SC15 size 8 hooks. I might even try to get some #10 hooks.
    Regards
    Niel
    Thanks Niel!

Those are really small flies you use, I have been trying weed flies in size 4. Do you strip your flies or fish them static under a indicator?
    Hi,
    I need to make a plan to get a close-up lens as the photos I tried was a bit pathetic. My daughter arrives back in 3 weeks time. I will try her camera. I tie them on Gamakatsu SC15 size 8 hooks. I might even try to get some #10 hooks.
    Regards
    Niel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast