Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: when the tale becomes taller than the fish

Never asked you to mention names, 1 or 2 extra letters would serve to confirm my suspicisions. Even in a PM if necessary.

Chris

I caught that many and more in the little Blackfoot yesterday. Do yourself a favour and do the Witels.

Ok, they're calling me for the next shoot - gotta go bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Chris

I caught that many and more in the little Blackfoot yesterday. Do yourself a favour and do the Witels.

Shoooo....you are giving our secrets away Fario!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Never asked you to mention names, 1 or 2 extra letters would serve to confirm my suspicisions. Even in a PM if necessary.
    Kevin knows He has been known to keep secrets though....good luck bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Chris

Caught my first trout in that stream.......before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    he is certainly very well known though....in fact, almost a household name in flyfishing circles by now
    Hehehehe Chris - that guy you speak of must be a real RIPPER of a fisherman
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

hehe...spot on Mario

Chris

From the odd experience of meeting some of these famous okes in Rhodes, I must say that I felt like the worst fly fisherman in the world!!

On beats that I fished a day or two before them (and fished fairly OK imho) they came back with like 60 fish per day!!! Possible, yes, but hell, not per person (3 anglers)!! Needless to say, no-one else ever comes close to their numbers, before, or after they fished a beat.

Could it be that the myth ... the legend ... and the sheer undiluted skills of these public figures are true indeed???

Or perhaps these numbers are just used to increase the sales in their shops!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Or maybe Kevin has a point, we're just jealous!

No, they haven't caught that amount of fish. There is a certain numerical amount assigned to their reputation, which they multiply by three.

If there is any fly fisher to claim a staggering amount of fish it might be Fred Steynberg and a few others, who will always catch an understandable amount of fish.

Some fly fishers count fish that came up to a fly as a fish caught, or a take missed, or just a ballpark guess.....

Like the guy who came into the shop this week and said he caught 47 fish in 4 hours, can be done. 11 fish an hour, 5.5 minutes between fish landed and released, can be done....?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast