Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: #3 weight rods R2000

Default #3 weight rods R2000

Ok so after fishing the streams twice now with Darryl the last couple weekends (yes we even fished on Sunday) it has become very clear that i need a faster rod, something Medium Fast,my current three weight just cannot get through the wind, so the budget is R2000...what would you recommend....
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Ok so after fishing the streams twice now with Darryl the last couple weekends (yes we even fished on Sunday) it has become very clear that i need a faster rod, something Medium Fast,my current three weight just cannot get through the wind, so the budget is R2000...what would you recommend....
    If you can wait for the Expo in April 2012 you might have a chance of getting exactly what you need for only R50.00
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Nick,

What is the rod you are currently using?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Nick

I have 4 or 5, #3 rods.

From medium fast right thru to fast.
    From 8" to 10"

You are more than welcome to take the rods for a weekend, fish with all of them and see what action and lenght works for you.

Then you will be able to make a more informed selection of action and lenght.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Nick,

What is the rod you are currently using?
    Hi, i have a rod that Mike made for me its a rain forrest blank, 8.6ft 4 piece, i am very happy with the lenghth,its just the speed.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    If you can wait for the Expo in April 2012 you might have a chance of getting exactly what you need for only R50.00
    tell me more
    James Boswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Nick

I have 4 or 5, #3 rods.

From medium fast right thru to fast.
    From 8" to 10"

You are more than welcome to take the rods for a weekend, fish with all of them and see what action and lenght works for you.

Then you will be able to make a more informed selection of action and lenght.
    Cheers Korrie, i am looking for 8.6ft roughly and a 4 piece (for travelling) i will go to locla suppliers and try out any reccomendations anyone has.
    James Boswell.

Forgot to add i am willing to buy a second hand rod if i can get a better quality rod from someone for the same money.
    James Boswell.

I might have a solution that could save you R2000.00.

I fish with a Medium rod and have found that changing my leader set up can drastically help casting into the wind.

Build a leader with something like the following diamaters:
    90cm 0.37mm
    40cm 0.32mm
    20cm 0.30mm
    15cm 0.25mm
    10cm 0.22mm

and then tie a loop in the end and attach your tippet, but not too long.

What this does is it forces extra power into each piece where the diameter of the line gets thinner, and the shorter distance of each piece increases the power transfer from piece to piece. With very short pieces between drops like the example above the extra power helps punch into the wind, and all at the cost of a few different spools of Maxima.

If you're looking to get a new rod though, then maybe look at the Echos from Philip or the Redingtons from Upstream (they had a special a week or two back - might still have some of that stock).
    Last edited by gkieser; 15-11-11 at 09:23 AM.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

See if you can get your hands on a horizon trs - from memory they should be roughly R2000? They're reasonably quick, 8'6", 4 piece and local...
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast