Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thought i new what i was doing till i found this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    thanks alot guys! i have a question, there are so many patterns and fly types out there, what i would like to know is how do I know what pattern or type for what fish and why?

why does some work better for certain fish and others dont?
    This is Korrie's Alter Ego Talking to you now.....All you need is a nymph, fish it deep, fish it slow!!!

Always learning, hell i learnt only the other day that you should not put a dry fly in Top ride unless its attached to your tippet
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Always learning, hell i learnt only the other day that you should not put a dry fly in Top ride unless its attached to your tippet
    I only learned the other day that "Top ride" could also be a flyfishing product. HEEHAA!

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    i only learned the other day that "top ride" could also be a flyfishing product. Heehaa!
    Yep so did i
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    thanks alot guys! i have a question, there are so many patterns and fly types out there, what i would like to know is how do I know what pattern or type for what fish and why?

why does some work better for certain fish and others dont?
    Chaser, without getting too complicated, it’s about understanding the ecosystem that the fish you are targeting live in.

With regards to freshwater, the insect and fish life in a particular stillwater or river will govern which flies you will use.

Of course you learn the most from experience but search around on this forum and get yourself a book or two. When I started I learnt a ****load from Dean Riphagens ‘A South African fly fishing handbook’.

Not only does it explain a lot about a large number of flies, when and how to use them, but if you get in to tying your own flies (which if you don’t already I bet you will) then it has step by steps on how to tie all the flies too. – Brilliant book.

And when you’re reading around on the forum and people talk about a fly they’ve caught off, if you don’t know what the fly is don’t try remember only the name, google the fly for a picture straight away. That way you’ll remember a lot more.

Good Luck!

You will have to get into the entomology subject for that. There are lots of good info on different species of mayfly, caddis, midges etc etc. Google for the primary species and you will find all the data you need.

Matching the hatch is what it is all about. Temperature, water quality, weather conditions and the area and such play a major role in your aquatic life. Turning up rocks at the water is a start. Pumping stomach contents is another way to go but have someone show you how to do it or you are likely to kill the fish.

Come out with us on the next Vaal trip and i guarantee you you will learn more than all you have learned so far.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Talking

ok so to sum everything up......dont ride a dry fly unless you put it on your tippet, read alot and know that i probably wont remember it all, pumping a stomach is not just for a bachelors party and can be used to see what something ate without having to feed them alcohol..
    search for the success stories and make them my own...

the books will help alot, and i know about looking for what they eat and what stage of development the fly might be... but what if just maybe a certain colour variation might change success rates..

thanks guys , you guys seem to be alot of fun and helpfull i apreciate it and have invicible faith in what i am going to learn from you guys..

Gert, you obviously have experience at f/f.

As with any form of fishing, take the bait, in our instance the flies that have worked for you in similar water in the past.

If it's a new venue for you , first prize is to go with someone who knows the venue. If that's not possible then take nearly all the flies you have, and search, search, search, but always remebering the topography of where you are fishing.

I would say 80 - 90 % of posts are from people who KNOW their venues and what works where, and when. This only comes from spending time at a new venue and consequently working it out.

Enjoy the time spent learning. 6 Blanks in a row at a new venue never put me off.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman, blanking six times? Next time, by the third blank, call me, we'll sort you out
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Herman, blanking six times? Next time, by the third blank, call me, we'll sort you out
    Werner, i sure will.

Actually thinking back looooong ago, you did come to help me, along with about 14 others, but methinks that you had a "turn" that day.

All I can remember was your snoring on a stone ledge.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast