Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Could "Tan" be the new in thing!?

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Ok....but don’t you think one of the reasons why tan is so productive is because of contrast?
    I know mayflies turn a lighter colour when they ready to emerge but that still does not tell me why tan would produce better than black when there are no tan nymph’s...or emerging nymph’s around.
    Am I missing something?
    Yes - you are missing it.
    It is not the contrast, but the (lighter) colour - SM actually are more colour attuned than trout.
    Mayflies NYMPHS actually turn darker (wingcase) when they are mature & about to emerge, but caddis pupa and mayfly emergers (that start their emergence underwater) are in many cases light tan/yellow & the tan nymph imitates both the caddis & mayfly emergers. And it is primarily at emergence (or just before the adults are visible on the surface) that the lighter tan nymphs are most effective. That said, fish are more accustomed to seeing emergers in the drift than nymphs, which live under/on rocks, so these are more readily taken.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Yes - you are missing it.
    It is not the contrast, but the (lighter) colour - SM actually are more colour attuned than trout.
    Mayflies NYMPHS actually turn darker (wingcase) when they are mature & about to emerge, but caddis pupa and mayfly emergers (that start their emergence underwater) are in many cases light tan/yellow & the tan nymph imitates both the caddis & mayfly emergers. And it is primarily at emergence (or just before the adults are visible on the surface) that the lighter tan nymphs are most effective. That said, fish are more accustomed to seeing emergers in the drift than nymphs, which live under/on rocks, so these are more readily taken.
    Ok, now it makes sence. Thanks for helping me understand Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I also like tanned nymphs. It must be the lines that is the trigger,
    For sure, and it is even better as a tandem rig...

Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Just bought myself some tan materials yesterday. After my much anticipated Vaal return I have already tied dozens of new flies for the Vaal on all colors. Tan is on for tonight.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    For sure, and it is even better as a tandem rig...

HAHAHAHA but if you've got them as a tandem rig you def don't want the heaviest nymph to be in control!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2