Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fly fishing Mauritius

Default fly fishing Mauritius

Hi guys

I will be going to Mauritius In April and was wondering if I should take my FF stuff with me.
    I have read on a few sites that the place is pretty much fished out. Read that the guys going out on the big
    Game charters are even blanking now days. Has anybody been there lately? Or know anything about the fishing there. Any info would be grate

I was there in March last year.

We trolled for marlin.

There was a school of Bonito's and Yellow fin Tuna feeding close to the surface. Seagulls gave them away. We fished from a big boat. about 7 miles out from the shore. So yes definately take your FF gear with. Get a smaller boat and target the fish just beyond the reef. Lots of Kingies(if I remember correctly) just past the reef.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the info FC

I have heard about a guide by the name of Dominique Thevenau, he usually guides spinning dropshot guys
    But is suppose to be good with FF as well, does anybody know him or been with him before?

Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Hi Wok,

Sorry I forgot to add. We stayed and fished the Western side of the Island.
    Frederick

Hey Wok

I have been out with him a few times.
    Great guy amd know's the spots! Be prepared to pay for it a little.
    He collects you from the hotel and drops you off, and there is a lunch an cooldrinks/water provided on the boat.

Make sure you have PROPER wading boots/coral protection as he will take you out onto the reef and work the surf zone from there.

It is the most fun you can have with your pants on, so pay the money and enjoy the dreams that haunt you afterwards...

You can get him here:
    domtevno@intnet.mu
    & here
    And on facebook, his website is listed on his info page
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Domin...enau/604910154
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

[QUOTE=AdrianPowrie;208464]
    Make sure you have PROPER wading boots/coral protection as he will take you out onto the reef and work the surf zone from there.

QUOTE]

Would the wadding boots I use for fresh water work or should I look at getting something like the Simms flats sneaker?

Thanks for all the grate info guys, have sent a mail now just waiting for reply.

Now just to get through the sleepless nights in anticipation of hunting GT’s

Bud, you cant go wrong with the Simms!!
    Maybe if you dont want to splash cash on boots that you wont use again ask Dom if he has any spare ones for you for the day?
    He has always asked me if I am sorted gear wise, and always seems to have extra in the Bakkie.

Also ask him to bring a pair of his Polarised sunnies. Cheap ass no name brands that are the bomb!!

Oh, and take you 5/6wt...
    The inshore species are great fun!

And if you have some extra cash, and dont mind sharing a boat with other guys, chat to the activities desk at the hotel and ask them if there is a big boat going out, these boats are never full and the guys will always welcome someone to help foot the bill.
    Then you have a great chance at some Dorado, Bonnies, Wahoo and maybe that 1000pd Marlin...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
    Hi guys

I will be going to Mauritius In April and was wondering if I should take my FF stuff with me.
    Hello Wok...

Definitely suggest you take your fly rods. Fished the 9wt off the beach at the resort, and the 12wt on the outer coral ledge. Agree with Adrian's suggestions about footwear and to use Dom. Great guy, an expensive trip, but for me was worth it.

Got a couple small Bluefin's off the beach at the resort up to 1kg. On the outer ledge got a couple Bluefins and a pickhandle barracuda fishing heavy with 12wt and 30lb tippet (Dom wanted 50lb). Biggest fish about 6kg. Have a video and pics somewhere will post when I get a gap.

Enjoy Mauritius.

Regards
    Sudesh

ps. I did not bother going offshore as I wanted a different experience fishing the coral ledge

Would the wadding boots I use for fresh water work or should I look at getting something like the Simms flats sneaker?
    On our trips to Maldives, we found that the felt soled wading boots grips better on the slippery coral reefs than the Simms Flats Sneakers. Cheapies does not last long, but the better ones last a few trips. (We used both the sneakers and the felt soles.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast