Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cork grip replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Well it's a brand new TFO BVK.....so medium end I guess? Nice rod but am very disappointed with the cork grip. It has gaping holes in the cork which havent been filled properly. So would like to re-cork it with a nicer grip.

Perhaps just being a bit nit-picky, but I have 2 cheapo xplorer rods which have much nicer grips.....so just doesn't seem right on a medium end rod??
    I noticed the exact same thing on my BVK - also brand new. I love the rod in general, but I quickly became aware of the not-so-great grip quality after about two outings. Pitty...

If you are not happy with the grip because of the odd pitting mark, then a new grip might be going a little far (imho). Mix up some Wood filler (60% Oregan Pine: 40% Beech) - this should give you a close enough colour to the original cork. Tweak it if needed. Fill the pits, sand down, and apply some sealer. You can get wood sealers from most hardware outlets for very cheap. No tools needed, just a knife and some sandpaper. Oh, and a lint-free cloth.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Apply some oak wood filler depending on the pitt sizes.. Sand it down lightly and then take a cloth and apply some Gripseal. You can get it at your local hardware.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Well it's a brand new TFO BVK.....so medium end I guess? Nice rod but am very disappointed with the cork grip. It has gaping holes in the cork which havent been filled properly. So would like to re-cork it with a nicer grip.

Perhaps just being a bit nit-picky, but I have 2 cheapo xplorer rods which have much nicer grips.....so just doesn't seem right on a medium end rod??
    That's pretty odd. My BVK easily has the best quality grip of all my rods.

Maybe send it back?
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Likewise. I have had no issues on my grip.

Maybe have a chat to the distributors...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

I have a TFO axiom which is also giving some "grip problems".... Some of the individual cork rings is actually loose from one another and appears to be hollow underneath. I did not at all expect this from a nice, solid looking grip like the axiom's... Maybe its a TFO thing?

Mike Newby is excellent @ filling such grips & then applies cork seal. Simple & effective solution.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I'd offer a different solution: heat the reel seat over a gas flame so as to remove - this is a more effective way of cracking the epoxy. Generally you can save the reel seat hardware but may need to replace the insert. You can then replace the grip from behind with out mesing with the varnish or rod logo. Let me know if I can assist further.

Derek

Something similar which I have done, is taken a hairdryer and heated the reelseat up. Then grip it using a cloth in order not to burn your hands. Then follow what Derek nhas suggested..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated.

@ Gary,

Can you PM Mikes number please?

I've also attached a few pics........would you be disappointed with this??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast