Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jefferys Bay Advice.

Default Jefferys Bay Advice.

Hi All, the family are going on our annual holiday to J Bay, leaving this Friday.

I am taking my 8/9 ELBE with intermediate and a DI 6 sinking lines.

My questions are :

1. Am I waisting my time taking the rods ?
    2. If not, what leader should I be using ( pound rating ) ?
    3. What tippet if any ?
    4. What flies ??????, I have a box of various Clousers, ranging from Ultra big, to normalish. No crazy charlies though , should I invest in some ???

I'm also taking a medium drop shot rig. This is loaded with 12 lb line.
    Am I undergunned, ? and also which drop shot lures should I procue for J Bay.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

You are wasting your time if you dont hook up with me this year, let me at least take to the ''HONEY HOLE'' as Herman Botes calls it.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Herman....the kabeljous River has leerie...not sure of the size but ur clousers should work and maybe invest in a Couple surface flies.....tippet 15-20Lb....

I would spend time rather at the gamtoos....u might Pick up a kob on the di6 and clousers...also bigger System so bigger leeries...

Also chat to Philip Cos im sure he got leerie at the estuary by capre st Francis...

Good Luck and enjoy
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

My experience- practically ff in JBay is pretty limited over the festive season. Gamtoos is quite hard to fish if you dont have a boat.
    Kabeljous has been pretty dead when i fished it over the past 2 years.
    You could try the Seekoei- river dividing JBay and Aston Bay. Has some small leerie but last time I was there it was very fresh.

I would spend more time with the dropshot rig both at Gamtoos and off the reefs throughout JBay targeting blacktail etc.

There are currently hordes of elf and you could target them on dropshot and fly. Go look for them off the wall at Walskipper and off paradise beach. Last year I klapped elf up to 2kgs throughout the day at paradise and my mates who live there tell me that they are thick again.

Hope this helps!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

1. Sunblock
    2. A new pair of Shades, cause your wife will clap you silly if she sees you eyeing the talent on the beach.
    3. Another Hat, you don't want to look like a Rhodesian Crocodile Dundee on that beach.
    4. Don't swim. The water is too cold down in the Cape so no one is swimming there. The Great White's now that, thats why they move up to J-BAy and chase after the Teazers on the Surfboards and chow the live bait swimming in the waves.
    5. Proper Shoes for fishing off the rocks, your Croc Supper Tough Super Diggers aren't going to work.
    6. Plenty of cash, cause the wife and kids are going to rape your wallet for Cooldrinks, Ice Cream, Hotdogs, etc.
    7. Sharpen up your Volleyball Skills, you are not as good as you were when you played for the 1970 All Start Rhodesian Straight Shooters.
    8. A proper cool bag, the Windhoek can only stay cold for that long, you don't want to be drinking an Dryhoek, now do you?
    9. Did I mention Sunblock? That sun will burn you whilst sitting in the shade, you don't want to look like an Radioactive Vienna when you get back. The Vaal will never be the same after that and no one would want to fish with you anymore, cause you will have fish jump straight out the water into your net, just to get out the water.
    10. Don't forget your Grandpa Powders and Disprins

Crisis that "All star Rhodesian volley ball" chirp made me laugh... Koos I havent forgottne about the reel, must still make a plan.

Herman you'd enjoy yourself if you went out bottom fishing with one of the charter guys in St Francis. You'd have a ball of a time "vertical jigging" in 20-30m water with your mega clousers for macks, shad, red fish, the odd geelbek etc, weather and current permitting of course. Dont forget to clear it with the skipper first but they dont normally have an issue with it.
    Check your knots!

Herman, listen to the ''slaapenaars'', for ***s sake I live here.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Herman, listen to the ''slaapenaars'', for ***s sake I live here.
    ........??
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Hook up with pops, forget the rest

Take phodies and post regularly
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    ........??
    Kevin, I agree with Dave here. It's like Darryl and Chris answering on that Karnemelkspruit thread, I mean, they don't live here, what would they know!!! I reckon the mods should step in and keep all replies to threads geo-relevant. It would really make things a LOT easier for everyone
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast