Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cork loose on Fly Rod

Default Cork loose on Fly Rod

Morning,

The cork on one of my "Fly Rods" have come loose & I've checked the forum & only found "Replacing of Cork Grip".

The cork is turning on the "Blank". Can I Glue this to the Blank again or MUST I replace the Cork.

If I can GLUE this - What Glue do I use?

thx
    Francois

Perhaps post some pictures, some of us may be able to better advise. I use epidermix epoxy, but you could get away with wood glue...But you would generally have to compress it under a bit of pressure. Post a picture and perhaps I could advise you.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

I had the similar scenario on my one fly rod. mine was at the top end, at the winding check.

I mixed up some epoxy, and with the cork being flexible, moved the cork, stretched a little and a very thin needle, worked the epoxy in as deep as possible.

Left to cure and is as good as new.

If your cork is loose in the middle of the grip, it might be a bit more difficult.
    I one had a cork handle completely break on a rod that I built.
    I was desperate. I carefully patched the whole cork together and epoxied it.
    10 years later, the grip is still fine.
    So, there are ways.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

+1 Korrie.. Did the same and it works fine.
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

You can try to get some epoxy into a syringe and thick needle and inject the mixture as deep as you can into the area. If it is tough to get out of the syringe, have a hair dryer handy and heat it up slightly while squeezing it in there. The heat will make the mixture more runny, but work quickly, as the heat will also make it set faster.

Clean up with thinners if some epoxy oozes out.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    You can try to get some epoxy into a syringe and thick needle and inject the mixture as deep as you can into the area. If it is tough to get out of the syringe, have a hair dryer handy and heat it up slightly while squeezing it in there. The heat will make the mixture more runny, but work quickly, as the heat will also make it set faster.

Clean up with thinners if some epoxy oozes out.
    Great idea Mario...! but you are right!! You will have to work fast after heating it as it does set much faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Great idea Mario...! but you are right!! You will have to work fast after heating it as it does set much faster!
    You can add a drop of thinners as well, but not more than that.

I'd personally buy 4-5 syringes, and work in stages instead of doing it all in one go. Taking an hour to do this will save you a lot of hassles, and give you a rod back ... for under R50.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Try and use slow setting epoxy, gives you more time to work.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Try and use slow setting epoxy, gives you more time to work.
    Korrie, can you suggest a brand available locally? Something most shops would carry. Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Korrie, can you suggest a brand available locally? Something most shops would carry. Thanks
    Mario.. Mike initially suggested it to me.. It is called Epidermix 372!! That stuff is magic.. gives you loads of time to work with and sets rock hard.. U use it on my grips!! It is magic!! You can get it at Builder's warehouse.. Not sure what is available in terms of centres in your town..

lakka

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast