Thread: GT Flies

Default GT Flies

I tied these for a swop, thought I would share with you guys. I wanted a lot of triggers, so I added a prominent flashabou lateral line, big dolls eyes, covered in Pro Kote, bleeding gills, materials with lots of movement and a brush head that pushes water well. I tied in some lead on the hook, to counter the dolls eyes and help them swim correctly.

Attached Images Attached Images

I use similar flies for garric and kob down at the garden route....

They look sweet thought...
    You sould maybe tie them in a brown/tan colour as well.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

very nice chris.....u should try some yellow dolls eyes aswell...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Nice ties there Chris
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

look good dude! those doll eyes will look massive underwater
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Just an observation and something I have come across when using dolls eyes like the ones pictured.

The eyes are hollow and retain a little air pocket that makes them pretty buoyant. I have found piercing the plastic bubble to allow water in makes them swim better, although I have moved away from the hollow ones and use the 3D type eyes now.

Might be something to consider for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Just an observation and something I have come across when using dolls eyes like the ones pictured.

The eyes are hollow and retain a little air pocket that makes them pretty buoyant. I have found piercing the plastic bubble to allow water in makes them swim better, although I have moved away from the hollow ones and use the 3D type eyes now.

Might be something to consider for the future.
    I did consider this, that is why I had to tie in some lead to the hook. It makes the fly a little heavier, but not to bad. They tend not to be very durable as well (even with the pro kote). The eyes can also make the fly swim on its side, so there is a lot of negative aspects to these eyes. But with the pro kote, and tied correctly (they all swim correctly) they have a lot of advantages over the 3D eyes. They act as a little rattle, adding vibrations and they are much more prominent under water than the 3D eyes. The shape (especially with pro kote applied) act as a magnifying glass under water and really makes them prominent.

Both eyes have their pros and cons, but I just like the dolls eyes. Thanks for your comments, it's definitely something to consider.

Chris, those are awesome! what size hook they tied on? you taking orders....? i could do with a few of those as the hunt for my 12kg+ leerie starts.

With regards the doll eyes, i agree they add something that the 3D eyes dont! not sure what it is but i have found my flies tied with them are more successful than the same fly tied with 3D eyes.... the only down side is one decent fish and they eyes are generally destroyed!

Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    Chris, those are awesome! what size hook they tied on? you taking orders....? i could do with a few of those as the hunt for my 12kg+ leerie starts.

With regards the doll eyes, i agree they add something that the 3D eyes dont! not sure what it is but i have found my flies tied with them are more successful than the same fly tied with 3D eyes.... the only down side is one decent fish and they eyes are generally destroyed!
    Thanks Kyle, those are on 5/0's. Sorry no orders

The pro kote helps a bit with the durability, they should now last 2 - 3 decent fish