Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good fishing - good access

Default Good fishing - good access

Hey guys

I want to take my dad to go try our luck with some yellows, or something other than our staple trout. Now the catch is he has had 4 hip replacements, none of which he has rehabilitated well from, so walking and wading is a bit of a strain for him.

Now the crap thing about trying to find spots for us to go, is that all the places with easy access are the places with most pressure usually.

Does anyone have some recommendations for me? Can't really go wading in the vaal with him.. Doesn't have to be "cheap" but the pocket only has so much in.

Thanks guys
    Mike

Mike, thats a hard one. Speaking from experience here, have a gammy ankle/(f@cked) since 1977 bush war(receive a veterans military disability payout), to crown it all, last xmas, walked off the pavement to the inlaws and knee croaked. Not nice, been out of action ff wise since.
    Nothing to compre to your dads replacements, but I know he will really have a hard time. Good luck and let us know how things work out. FF ROCKS.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Hey guys

I want to take my dad to go try our luck with some yellows, or something other than our staple trout. Now the catch is he has had 4 hip replacements, none of which he has rehabilitated well from, so walking and wading is a bit of a strain for him.

Now the crap thing about trying to find spots for us to go, is that all the places with easy access are the places with most pressure usually.

Does anyone have some recommendations for me? Can't really go wading in the vaal with him.. Doesn't have to be "cheap" but the pocket only has so much in.

Thanks guys
    Mike
    Mike, all these are naturally flow dependant,

Eendekuil has steps going down to the river. The very first run ( in flows under 30 ) is very managable.

Another option is Elgro, hire a boat and guide for the day and then let your father fish from the boat. The guide should know where to anchor for the best results.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

That's rough man, sorry to hear.

Thanks for the support man
    Last edited by MikeM; 13-12-11 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks Herman - will definitely check out the boat + guide thing.

Poppernel, I think you misunderstand, I say it with love.

I'm the one in our house that nags my dad to do his exercises and focus on walking correctly (So that he can stay mobile later in life), sometimes he gets lazy, as we all do, and it's typical of him to say "Come get off your arse and lets go".

Reading it again, it does come off as really harsh, however knowing how it sounded my head, it really wasn't the intention. And considering I am looking for a place for him and I to share some good fishing, I think it's clear my attitude towards him is actually quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Thanks Herman - will definitely check out the boat + guide thing.

Poppernel, I think you misunderstand, I say it with love.

I'm the one in our house that nags my dad to do his exercises and focus on walking correctly (So that he can stay mobile later in life), sometimes he gets lazy, as we all do, and it's typical of him to say "Come get off your arse and lets go".

Reading it again, it does come off as really harsh, however knowing how it sounded my head, it really wasn't the intention. And considering I am looking for a place for him and I to share some good fishing, I think it's clear my attitude towards him is actually quite good.
    Even I FEEL YOUR reply is really valid, wrong choice of words.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    wrong choice of words.
    Agreed Mind editting them out?

Mike!! frustration is a learning curve, be patient with pops,

Mike I know exactly how you feel, and some days I know I am going to hell, because of my attitude, as my dad is the same. He sits in the chair all day and I try encourage him to sit and read his bible under the willow tree, surrounded by bonsais... Guess where he sits, 2 steps from the bed. I would love to get him out but because of his unwillingness to get out the chair, I just shake my head. Good luck and hope you come right.
    Cheers
    Rols
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

We all have our burdens Rols.

A was in a motorcycle accident a while back, and was given a 20% chance of getting use of my right hand back. My dad supported me through it as I have supported him through his operations (At least the 3 I was more aware of). I just feel sad that things have gone the way they have. I don't hold it against my dad as I know how difficult it is. After over a year, I still can't pick up more than 10kg with my right hand, and coming from quite a big young man it's a hassle, but I did take responsibility and rehabilitate as well as I could. Thankfully my dad is doing what he can to get fit again now, eating a bit better, drinking a little less, going to physio. But he still struggles with any major distances or rough terrain.

I just want to make the best of our situation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast