Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Baitfish profile.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Arrow The correct Baitfish profile.

    I’m busy stocking up on some Crafty Minnows (courtesy Murray Pedder who demonstrated the pattern to me) and thought I’d post a few pics of the correct Baitfish profile.

    Pic 1.

    Top view - front to back.



    Pic 2.

    Tapers top to bottom. Note the “v” at the bottom.



    Pic 3.

    Side tapers front to back.





    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 19-12-11 at 05:37 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somerset West, Western Cape
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Looks like a solid fly! Well tied
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    XYZ
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Very nice and perfect as always G.

    Are you planning on using these on the Vaal, Parys area I am referring to?

    C and myself gave these a good chance this year with no success, but the LM fishing wasn't easy so maybe not much to go by. We will see how 2012 goes, but thus far the GoTo has outfished all other patterns [for me] in our part of the world...

    but that does not mean that I am not tying these up for 2012

    PS: A colleague got a +-5kg in Vaaldam this week and at Tago (Vaaldam) a lady recently caught a 11kg ... what a fish... will be spectacular on fly!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    The bottom flies with the black dots on the gill area will be a great ''Gorrie'' (very good local fish used in the surf as live bait) immitation.
    Nicely tied.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    Dave thanks but it's the same flies,just added the dots later on.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-12-11 at 11:01 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Very nice and perfect as always G.

    Are you planning on using these on the Vaal, Parys area I am referring to?

    C and myself gave these a good chance this year with no success, but the LM fishing wasn't easy so maybe not much to go by. We will see how 2012 goes, but thus far the GoTo has outfished all other patterns [for me] in our part of the world...

    but that does not mean that I am not tying these up for 2012

    PS: A colleague got a +-5kg in Vaaldam this week and at Tago (Vaaldam) a lady recently caught a 11kg ... what a fish... will be spectacular on fly!
    Thanks B, no somewhere close to where u can target yellows in the ocean.
    Gerrit Viljoen

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Dave thanks but it's the same flies,just added the dots later on.
    I saw that, but the black on the gills is a gorrie trademark.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    Oh gorries !
    Gerrit Viljoen

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    XYZ
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    G, does the general profile go horizontal when wet?

    In the pics most material seem to be at an angle of 45 degrees or even more?

    Or what is the reasoning with this 'angled' tying

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    G, does the general profile go horizontal when wet?

    In the pics most material seem to be at an angle of 45 degrees or even more?

    Or what is the reasoning with this 'angled' tying
    Barend, the actual trimming of these saltwater flies is a farce. In other words not needed, the actual ''movement'' of the material will take the shape when retreived. It it said that un''klipped'' materials dont do the fly justice.
    Retreiving a fly at speed in water holds the shape, will prove this. Yet the same fly static will reveal a fly too bushy/not acceptible. So to say, depends on the the method and materials used.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •