Thread: Goeiedag!

Default Goeiedag!

or Good day, whichever you prefer!

Joined after reading close to three hours of content. Felt it only fair to say hi as well, seeing that I have started knowing some of the usual's here with their casual bantering and heaps of knowledge.

I went fly fishing a few times back in 2005. I loved it and also bagged a 3.4kg rainbow at a place called Laverpa in Dullstroom. Due to kids being born etc, the hobby fell by the wayside but the memories remained. My wife got me a little starter set for Christmas, and now I have already booked a fly fishing holiday... I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Wife got me a 9' 5-6 weight Stealth Adventurer rod, with a Stealth Mid Arbor reel and some Elbe line that apparently drifts and the end sinks... Also got a fly vest and a few flies.

After reading pages and pages, I see that Stealth is loved by some and hated by others. I just like supporting the local market in anything I can, so keen to keep this, but also go pick up another rod.

Im currently looking at the Stealth Infinity, but keen to hear on what weight people would recommend as well for me. Do I then need a new reel as well? Should I use a floating line? Im mainly going to focus on dam and river trout. If something else bites, great, but I would like to start off just on some rainbows etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I need to post this somewhere else, please shout!

Oh... and I am from Ruimsig, Gauteng (Roodepoort area) I like long walks on the beach, reading, golf and now fishing.

FlyFanatic Banned User

More Trevor!

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will enjoy every moment of it! Reading through the vast amount of information, picking some of the other forumers brains for info or just engaging in the idle bantering which normally takes up most of the time!

Just one tip, before starting a new thread or asking a question, first seach the site, chances are that you will get all the info you need, and even more!

Enjoy!

Best Regards

Jaco

Welcome, and enjoy the site.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Trevor,

Welkom en geniet die forum
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

welcome Trevor...

i dont have much knowledge on the stealth infinity rods so will leave that up to some of the others...

glad to have you on here and i'm sure you'll learn loads! keep using the search function and you'll be fine.

also view "the latest flies from the vice" thread for interests sake. loads of flies on there.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Hey Trevor,

Hope you enjoy the forum and get as addicted to it as some of us are (I'm not though I spent as much time here as I can), on your question on Stealth, they are good rods but there are much better rods out there, it all depends on what you want to spend.

I would also suggest you look at the Horizon range of rods. They are in the same price range just about but IMHO a better rod. I had 6 Stealth rods at one stage but my Horizon turned out to be my favorite. Now I'm switching my entire kit to Sage but my Vaal rod of choice is still the Horizon 6wt.

Here is what I suggest:
    Go to your local shop and cast a few different rods. As far as rods go don't go just on what we tell you, go find out for yourself what suits your style of fishing best.
    Last edited by wernerm; 21-12-11 at 12:12 PM.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Hi Trevor..

Welcome. The rod and reel you have should do the trick for now, take it to the park and learn to cast your rod. Any new rod takes a while to understand end get a feel for, even the good ones. Remember to put a leader on otherwise your ruin the tip of your fly line.

If you spend any money on tackle at this time my sugestion would be to upgrade your line. For still water (dam) trout you must be able to put some line out, for rivers/streams accuracy is more important than distance.

my 2c.

May the fish be with you.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Thanks everyone!

I went out and got the Stealth Infinity... Also picked up some more flies, another Stealth Mid Arbor reel and then some better line as well. Think it was Airflo Tactical. Was around R530 for the line, so hoping it will be better than the R140 odd rand that I spent on the Elbe stuff thats on the other reel.

Now to find a nice quiet park...