Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: R800 5/6wt

Booger Rose Banned User

I don't like the Stealth - klaar!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS...don't knock the Elbe. If I had to choose between the Classic 2, Stealth, and Elbe...I'd choose the Elbe 5wt 9 foot. Very under-rated rod, excellent value for money. (Look past the negative hype)
    THANKYOU!! I have given away rods more expensive than the Elbe, as Mike says, under-rated, as to price.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS...don't knock the Elbe. If I had to choose between the Classic 2, Stealth, and Elbe...I'd choose the Elbe 5wt 9 foot. Very under-rated rod, excellent value for money. (Look past the negative hype)
    Michael, you're right about the Elbe. I believe if you are gonna fish the Vaal and don't need to put in any casting distance the rod will be perfect. I've used the Elbe 9wt for some Leerie fishing - I got better distance casting the big flies with the 5wt Classic II. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with 5wt Elbe. I could also be that I have a k@k casting action not suitable for heavy rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Michael, you're right about the Elbe. I believe if you are gonna fish the Vaal and don't need to put in any casting distance the rod will be perfect. I've used the Elbe 9wt for some Leerie fishing - I got better distance casting the big flies with the 5wt. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with 5wt Elbe.
    You go on and on about a 9wt, HELLO!! a 5wt on the Vaal will cast any flies and fight any yellow in a CURRENT, trust me.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Do you still get Deane and Kingfisher rods?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    You go on and on about a 9wt, HELLO!! a 5wt on the Vaal will cast any flies and fight any yellow in a CURRENT, trust me.
    DAVE
    From there my previous post saying the Elbe rod would be perfect for the Vaal. My reference to the 9wt is just my only referencewith Elbe and thus being my reason to prefer the Classic II above the Elbe.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    What do the Echos/Redingtons/TFOs start at?
    You are looking at around R1500 - R1800 for the TFO Pro.

Have you considered a second hand rod. There are a few decent buys going if you are patient.

For example - there is a 5 weight Stealth Infinity and a 6 weight Greys X-Flite going for R1200 on Gumtree.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Do you still get Deane and Kingfisher rods?
    The Kingfisher Malachite rods were awesome too, for the price. I think you still get them, and now in 4-piece as well. Kingfisher Malachite...I fished a 5wt for many years and was really upset when I broke it (my fault). Extremely good rod for the price!

From there my previous post saying the Elbe rod would be perfect for the Vaal. My reference to the 9wt is just my only referencewith Elbe and thus being my reason to prefer the Classic II above the Elbe.
    True, but you say as well that with the Elbe, distance may be a problem. Then you need in my view basic casting lessons.
    The 9wt is most probably to heavy for you to handle over a period of time, me thinks.

DAVE

Yeah Booger, I have zero knowledge of the 9wt Elbe's, but the 5wt's are perfect for the Vaal. Even trout in dams and rivers, also good. I could cast a flyline out no worries.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast