Thread: Do you really need head cement

Default Do you really need head cement

I was contemplating on tying techniques today and a question sort of came to mind.

Do you really need head cement?

I've not used head cement for ages since, living in the North West, I haven't been to a decent shop that has any in a while, but thinking back none of the flies I EVER tied up fell apart when not using it. Double whip finish and there you go.

What are your thoughts?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Werner, I never use head cement, except sometimes for fly swaps. But as a rule, no, dont need to, my flies are well tied.

DAVE P.S. good thread.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Sally Hansons Hard as nails!

It never goes sticky and it penetrates the wraps after you whipped it. Probably not needed, but hey, it takes so little time, why not do it to make sure?

I stoped using it years ago when the first lot i bought ran out, and I must say I haven't missed it at all! I do believe that it finishes off the fly nicely from a flyfishermans perspective but the fish does not seem to be botherd with it! When fishing for toothy critters like tigers and saltwater fish it may be as good idea to use some! But I'm not salted yet!!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Sally Hansons Hard as nails!

It never goes sticky and it penetrates the wraps after you whipped it. Probably not needed, but hey, it takes so little time, why not do it to make sure?
    Agreed - Sally is the way to go.

I use a 'simple whip finish tool' (actual name google it - way nicer than the normal Marterelli tool) - this allows me to add varnish to the thread *before* whipping twice. That, and tying using tension close to the thread breaking strain result in long-lasting flies.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins