Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paul's slayer request

The main reason for aplying some velcro to the body was because I only have genetic dry fly grizzly hackle and it was looking way to neat. I understand what you are saying.

Apart from it looking too bulky for a caddis pupa the extra bugginess will hinder the sink rate quite a bit so I'm going to have to find another way to mess up the hackle a little bit. Thanks for all the sugestions.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    The main reason for aplying some velcro to the body was because I only have genetic dry fly grizzly hackle and it was looking way to neat. I understand what you are saying.

Apart from it looking too bulky for a caddis pupa the extra bugginess will hinder the sink rate quite a bit so I'm going to have to find another way to mess up the hackle a little bit. Thanks for all the sugestions.
    Hackle, in a Paul's Slayer?? Run that bit by me again.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

wernerm suggested I add hackle. No one seems to have the same idea of how it should look so please post a photo. I really would appreciate it. The latest:
    Attachment 12476

The body is actually greyer than in the photo. It's just the light.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

David, it's essentially a mustard caddis with some flash strands behind the bead. I saw one tied by Paul Boyers when the pattern 1st became a talked-about fly quite a while ago, and that is what it looked like to me.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I tried mixing some hackle fibres in with the dubbing. It seems to look ok.
    Attachment 12477

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    David, it's essentially a mustard caddis with some flash strands behind the bead. I saw one tied by Paul Boyers when the pattern 1st became a talked-about fly quite a while ago, and that is what it looked like to me.
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Sorry, not mustard - tan coloured dubbing
    Mario Geldenhuys

Kind of like this but with tan dubbing rather than yellow chenille?
    Attachment 12478

Rather go with what Mario say, I haven't actually seen this fly in real life. Went on what i saw in Rory's photo.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Kind of like this but with tan dubbing rather than yellow chenille?
    Attachment 12478
    Yeah, lot better - still too much of a uniform profile. With dubbing you'll get it right though, pretty sure of that. Use as little dubbing as possible when noodling, rather wrap a lot of turns - this will ensure a nice compact fly.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast