Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paul's slayer request

These are two variations of a Paul's Slayer that I tie
    Last edited by Bryan; 25-12-11 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

dtail I figured out that Rory used squirrel dubbing, hence the confusion with the hackle. Now do it as I posted before and use squirrel dubbing, your profile must go thin to thick from the back of the hook to the front. Squirrel dubbing will give you the exact effect so no teasing out. I'll post a SBS tomorrow for you.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thanks so much for all the help guys.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

So I took a stab at what I think Paul's Slayer should look like. I don't have orange beads left and living in the North West I won't have for the next three weeks so...

I tied two variations for you, one with a brass bead and one with no bead and a orange hotspot. You'll get the idea I think.

Materials used:
    Body: Hares ear dubbing
    Thorax: Black Chenille (Rather use black ice dubbing)
    Wingcase: Crystal Flash
    Ribbing: Crystal Flash

Mine was tied rugged since my lighting was terrible please don't do that with an evaluation.
    The one point you should remember is that the wingcase (flash) should be tied in between the thorax and the bead.
    Last edited by wernerm; 26-12-11 at 08:18 AM.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Looks about right. The Flash can be anywhere though, I don't think the fish in murky waters are going to be too fussy ito the flash being a mm to the front or back The original pattern also did not have an orange bead (just for the record), but these days orange beads and yellowfish seem to go like white on rice Hawt Spawt
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks. I'm gonna tie some today.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Looks about right. The Flash can be anywhere though, I don't think the fish in murky waters are going to be too fussy ito the flash being a mm to the front or back The original pattern also did not have an orange bead (just for the record), but these days orange beads and yellowfish seem to go like white on rice Hawt Spawt
    Mario, that was the case up untill last year. Black is the new orange
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Black is the new orange
    Good think i don't do orange much. Any color, as long as it's black

i have found recently that on my size 14 olive caddis flies, the hot orange is killing at all venues...and on mays any size, its black.

bigger caddis flies and mustard the gold is working.

tested this a lot in the last few months and it's the same each time
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

I'm still testing and will confirm after Friday, but I suspect I have found another color that seems to smash the yellows as well. Will keep you posted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast