Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes - Recommendations?

Default Rhodes - Recommendations?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip down to Rhodes area for a week in April / May. Could someone perhaps give me some tips on the best streams and accommodation in the area?

Thanks!!

Not many places you can go wrong there.
    Call Walkerbouts, they'll sort you out with accommodation and fishing
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Thanks! The Wild Trout Association in that area has posted something on their website about poaching in Rhodes itself? Perhaps the other areas just ouside Rhodes (e.g. Balloch Cottages / Lovedale) might be safer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip down to Rhodes area for a week in April / May. Could someone perhaps give me some tips on the best streams and accommodation in the area?

Thanks!!
    Agree with Dizzy, you cant go wrong, its all stellar water. I would recommend getting up to Balloch for a real challenge on a tiny sliver of water.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
    Thanks! The Wild Trout Association in that area has posted something on their website about poaching in Rhodes itself? Perhaps the other areas just ouside Rhodes (e.g. Balloch Cottages / Lovedale) might be safer?
    Its only really on the commonages, besides that, I have caught amazing fish 10 mins drive from rhodes either up or down the Bell river.

My advice, stay in rhodes and drive to all the spots, its called the centre of the Universe for a reason. All the streams are within reasonable driving distance, you get the convenience of the town, and if you stay in a place like Balloch and want to fish say, gateshead or Bchase, its a lot further to drive.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

6. Default

Alet, great meeting you yesterday...

We have the Rhodes booklet available and we can give you a whole bunch of first hand knowledge...

Regards
    Last edited by Frontier Fly Fishing; 06-01-12 at 12:10 PM.

Balloch is a great option but it is quite far away from Rhodes just bear that in mind. The Frosts are superb hosts and it really is an awe inspiring place to fish. Another option close to New England is Wildside (on the Kraai) its only an option for fishing if the flows are low though. Both also offer either selfcatering accomodation or camping too.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

If still available i enjoy mertoun farm,just otherside Rhodes.The Bell and Klopperhoek (i think) meet there.Lovely water and some decent fish as it is not fished as often as the waters in rHods.I would also give Mario geldenhys a mail (smalltreams)on the forum.he might have a better ideas

Thank you everyone for your advice. Can't wait to test the waters there! Sounds amazing... Mike, will see you next week to pick up the booklet!

10. Default

Hi Al1 - the booklet is available online as well in PDF format - give Dave a shout.

Best options for you are to stay in Rhodes itself. If you are worried about poaching you don't need to be. The commonage water is most likely poached the heaviest (all waters to some extent are), but this is also actually not a bad thing. Far fewer fish yes, but that leads to a few larger, more selective fish. The upper beats are as always a good place to fish, and Rhodes as a base is great.

Try
    http://www.highlandsinfo.co.za
    http://www.roundaboutrhodes.co.za

for some more info online ...

More than welcome to drop me a PM if you wish as well.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast