Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carp Fly Fishing - Bronkhorstspruit (DAM)

Default Carp Fly Fishing - Bronkhorstspruit (DAM)

Morning,

I went to Bronkhorstspruit (Dam) over Xmas & decided to try my luck against the BIG carp that cruise the waters. Well it did not go well. The Carp were all swimmng just below the surface & I drifted my fly (Bread Fly) over them & they ignored it totally. I tried sub-surface flies & NO luck. After hours & hours of "TORMENT" I eventually started throwing "Bread" at them & started cast my fly between the floating "Bread". Still NO Luck. Damn it was HELL out there - you can see the Carp (+- 20) all swimming together. I was sight fishing, but they were not feeding. They would swim to my fly & then ignore it. Oh - They did not touch the "Bread".

Now I ask the Fly Fishermen & Ladies (with tears in my eyes) that know how to catch Carp for HELP.

thx in advance.
    Francois
    AMFFF

not that i'm a expert on carp or anything, but i have always found cruising carp to be almost impossible to catch.

If you want to catch a carp you need to look for feeding carp and place a fly right in front of it - to do this you need to find a nice shallow flat with clearish water wade quietly up to the carp. In those conditions they are not difficult to catch.

If you chum them up with bread and place a bread fly in front of them that should work. I have also hear of people chumming with epol cat food pellets and using a black foam beetle fly to imitate the pellets having good success ... although i have not personally done this.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Sean mills. dvd carp on fly. stream x. And order the carp fly that Sean makes from Craig at the same time.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

What I found is that if you don't see the carp's mouth open and close in that typical feeding movement or the sediment clouds from the bottom the odds of getting it to take your fly is almost zero.

You can catch cruizing carp it just needs to be cruizing and feeding, black or red wooly bugger stripped infront of its nose worked for me, beetles and other dry flies in scum lines work to.... I have yet to catch one feeding on the bottom, my luck and acuracy has let me down thus far.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by amfff View Post
    Morning,

I went to Bronkhorstspruit (Dam) over Xmas & decided to try my luck against the BIG carp that cruise the waters. Well it did not go well. The Carp were all swimmng just below the surface & I drifted my fly (Bread Fly) over them & they ignored it totally. I tried sub-surface flies & NO luck. After hours & hours of "TORMENT" I eventually started throwing "Bread" at them & started cast my fly between the floating "Bread". Still NO Luck. Damn it was HELL out there - you can see the Carp (+- 20) all swimming together. I was sight fishing, but they were not feeding. They would swim to my fly & then ignore it. Oh - They did not touch the "Bread".

Now I ask the Fly Fishermen & Ladies (with tears in my eyes) that know how to catch Carp for HELP.

thx in advance.
    Francois
    AMFFF
    The thing is with carp if they are not on the feed they will not often take a fly, if you can find a feeding school then you are in the money. If you can wade to a feeding school and present flies to them you will get fish

I once caught a crusing mirror carp, he was crusing eating off the surface, so I tied on a good ol' DDD, 1st cast, he sipped it and that was that..

So ja, eish, dont know whey they were full of shite!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I once caught a crusing mirror carp, he was crusing eating off the surface, so I tied on a good ol' DDD, 1st cast, he sipped it and that was that..

So ja, eish, dont know whey they were full of shite!
    DDDs worked for me too. (or piece of styrofoam)
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    DDDs worked for me too. (or piece of styrofoam)
    I have nailed, carp, bass, troot, yellows, bream and my ear, with DDD's...one of the best old dries there is (for me anyways)
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Booger Rose Banned User

My bit of experience with carp: I don't fish for cruising fish, have never had one taken my fly yet. I think they are in spawning mode or something.

Dry fly: I fish a DDD or red humpy or some biggish fly right in the area where the fish are activly feeding - DDD the best fly by far for this kind of fishing. Important, the fly must be presented in the area towards wich the carp is moving, it gets dificult with the orange carp mouths open and closing all over in the water, but look for a specific fish, try to see where it is going and try to present the carp in the feeding area in front of fish - not to close because they can spook easily - half meter to meter works well enough.

I normally look for feeding fish in the shallows or dirt clouds in the water with some air bubbles. The fly must be presented to the right side of the fish ie. the mouth side (dont laugh, it is somtimes dificult to see wich is front or back) and anything within a metre from the fish could work. when fly sunk to bottom, give a small twitch or two. Some of the carp wil grab the fly very aggresively and sped of and others will just leisurly sip in the fly. Most of them will look at u, smile and swim away. My carp fly is basig Wooly Bugger type of fly tied with bathchain eyes on top of shank so that hook points up. Works well to not hook everything on the bottom.

A bit of wind in the water also seems to help that the fish dont spot you to easily. Some nice help areto be found on Youtube - flyfihing carp. Sean Mills also have a clip or two on there.

Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 12-01-12 at 01:49 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast