Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kurper's en vis koors! Blanking is no FUN!

I believe there is another reason for this barring the obvious
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Hi George,
    I had nearly the same experience the week before Christmas. Manage to catch 1 during 4 days at the Fynbos Retreeat near Stanford. I did a bit of reading before, got the right flies etc. The Red Setter was the successful fly. Intersestingly, what I found that they like to stay beneath the lillies and also in this case in the same area of the dam. I used a SmartCast fishfinder and found them in the same spot on all four days. According to Sean Mills, a continuous short pull retrieve works best. Contact the the guys at StreamX, as they gave the best advice. There is also a nice article on Kurpers in the FLYFISHING Magazine of February/March 2009, Vol 22 No.11. I am sure you can get one from the publishers.

All the best

Stephan Nortje

Hi Stephann

Thanks will try and get a hold of that copy, and fly. Also thought kurper would be an easy species to add to my list on fly,
    How wrong I was! But that's what captivated me about fly fishing.... The challenge.
    But I'll get them next time.

@werner
    ?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    @werner
    ?
    ?

The obvious would be things like tippet being too thick, stealth, wrong fly choice, location, depth, retrieve etc etc.

I do believe however that there is a scientific explanation for this peculiar behavior. On occasion I've been to the same venue's, catching over 50 fish in 2 hours, but on these two occasions nothing, nada, zip, plus I was sight fishing so the fish was there.

None of the obvious reasons makes sense.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

hey there

i have had some fun with shoaling Kurpers, but always use 5x or 6x for fish of that size and aso use very small (16 and 18) nymphs, either flashback or not in tandem...

stealth is important, but if you can get a delicate cast in and twitch the small nymphs through them you should get something...also, occassionally the red setter in small sizes also works, especially in spawning season.

good luck
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

For $31.50 you might get an answer here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...56d6e1564af271
    No guarantees though.

What gazzarowan said has always worked for me.

There is a lurker on these forums, allsorts, who is a bit of an expert on enticing kurper on the fly and has written a couple of articles on the subject in TCFF. He has taken kurper tactics and flies to a high level of refinement - will ask him to share his thoughts - else just order the TCFF articles as already suggested.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    The obvious would be things like tippet being too thick, stealth, wrong fly choice, location, depth, retrieve etc etc.

I do believe however that there is a scientific explanation for this peculiar behavior. On occasion I've been to the same venue's, catching over 50 fish in 2 hours, but on these two occasions nothing, nada, zip, plus I was sight fishing so the fish was there.

None of the obvious reasons makes sense.
    Totally agree, next time I'll be giving more caution to the obvious, at least I got a bite though but that's it! On for maybe 1.5-2 seconds and gone.
    If I recall correctly it was a weight white death, the fly was cast out and allowed to sink at the as soon as I started the retrieve the fish took it, but what tickles
    Me is that that same procedure didn't work thereafter even after I gave them about 15min break before trying again.

Gazzarowan will try those smaller tippets and the smaller nymphs.

Firephish please do ask him would be much appreciated, we can never gather to much info!

There is no science to catching or not catching Kurper. It's a load of bull.

I have caught individual fish, I have caught them in a shoal, I have caught big Blue Kurper in full Spawn Colours, etc.

I have caught them on a range of flies over the years. From nymphs right up to Zonkers, Half Chickens, MSP's, Dries, Baitfish Profiles, etc.
    I have even caught them in fast riffles whilst fishing for LS Yellows. When you put a dry down they will sometimes spook and move deeper. Leave the fly there as they will come up and they will nail that dry. All you do is you twitch it a little and bang you are on.

When they shoal and you pull a nymph through the whole shoal will sometimes chase the fly. Never have I pulled a Pinfry through a shoal and not get a take.
    Single Blue Kurper Males are a bit tricky when they are in Spawn/ Breading Colours. But they can be fooled, cause they will later hit the fly just because they are"Gatvol" of it.

See there is no science cause even a 3 Year Old can do it....

He even hooked one on the Tenkara whilst fishing a dry, pity it came off as he would have loved landing that one.

Default Weldone!

Sjoe when can he give me some lessons?

No but seriously cudos to him, good to teach'em from that age!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast