Thread: Scooterza saying hello

Default Scooterza saying hello

Hi all

Since I am new to the forum, and following on from Werner's posting, let me introduce myself. The name is Scott and I live in Randpark, Randburg. I have been fishing since the age of around 3 years old - I have a photo of a kurper I caught of around 1.5kg - almost as big as I was!

Since then I have been fishing non stop. There have been periods when I haven't touched a rod for 6 months but I always come back. I fish for anything with gills but when we moved to the Natal Midlands at the age of around 12, I started doing a lot of fly fishing. Bought myself a Daiwa Osprey that I still use to this day (I am now 35 years old!)

Have been fishing a bit lately and caught some decent fish. To see some examples, click HERE.

These were all caught on fly.

Having lost a few good sized fish recently, I decided maybe after 23 years, it was time to upgrade on the rod front. So as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a Stealth Infinity 5 weight 9' with the Xplorer XPLA reel. Should be a great upgrade from the Daiwa (a wonderful rod but technology marches on). Also got the Cassette reel plus spare spool - all for R1800 which I thought was a good price! Oh and 3 Scientific Anglers lines - floating, sinking and intermediate.

I found this forum whilst cruising for rods and other gear but reckon I will be here a lot whenever work becomes too much!

Welcome Scott,

The forum has a wealth of information and chances are what ever you need to know is already in here. With your background I think you are going to give more advice than you are going to ask for though.

Anyways welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Just one question though, why in damnation would you want to move to Gauteng away from the Midlands?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Yes - when I revisit the Midlands I do think the same! Awesome part of the world. The plan is to go back there in the next few years! But the Vaal on a good day is pretty impressive in my opinion. I love the fact I could catch a barbel, SM, LM, Muddie, Bass etc.

In the Midlands, it was Rainbows all the way with the ODD Brown for variety. Also, when last did anyone catch a 10KG trout in the midlands. Doesn't happen very often.

Not saying it wasn't awesome or special but the Vaal is world class fishing.

The Vaal is indeed great, but for me there is just something magical about being able to drink the water the fish piss in and still not get sick. Would advise against such endeavor in the Vaal.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Firstly, Welcome Scott.

You may be a newbie on the forums, but definately not ito f/f.

Looking forward to your input on the various threads as well as report backs on your Vaal trips.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659