Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Fly Fisherman

Default New Fly Fisherman

Hi Everyone!

As I understand matters, it is requested by other forum members that new forum members introduce themselves. Well, here goes:

My name is Sean Bosse (Fresh Fish is my forum name), residing in Tableview (Western Cape Province) and practicing as an attorney (for my sins).

My introduction to flyfishing was accidental and came about early in December 2011 following a short visit by my brother in law who wanted to shoot a line at a local quarry. The mere sight and aura of the sport grabbed my attention and then and there I knew that I wanted to persue flyfishing as a hobby!

Admittedly, I have no experience and really don't know much about the sport let alone how to cast a fly line! I guess that is what is also so appealing to me is the adventure to learn something new.

As a real novice, I went along to Sportsman's Wharehouse and purchased the stock standard (mass produced) entry level fly rod that came with an attached reel and line. This has served me well, to date, as I stand in my local park to parctice my casting technique (much to the amusement of those other families in the park wondering if I know that there is no water into which I am casting!!!).

Well, without boring you further with my tales as a novice angler, I am looking forward to this new adventure and I will be making regular visits to this forum and the website to ask you all for much needed help. AND...if anyone has the time and inkling...I would welcome any oppotunity to go out on a day fly fishing with you guys to learn the ropes (or is that flyline!!!).

Best regards

Fresh Fish

Catchy name welcome!

Hi Sean,

Welcome and enjoy the forum, lots to learn here.

my first piece advice is that you contact one of the local Fly fishing stores and go for casting lessons. It will be money well spent.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Welcome...

Remember, there is a Intro Counter...for every Intro completed on the forum...Werner receives 0.0.07 cents...

ONe day, he will worth Rands...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Default Vote of thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies and for the well wishes!

I think it will be a good idea to take up those lessons! The thought of another hook in the back of the head is just too much to bear!!!

Cheers

Welcome Sean, there are loads of the guys from WC and CPS here than can assist you. You are in the fortunate position of being close to the Cape streams which is the most prestige fishing in the country (IMHO)
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Welcome...

Remember, there is a Intro Counter...for every Intro completed on the forum...Werner receives 0.0.07 cents...

ONe day, he will worth Rands...
    Uncouth remarks like those won't get you invited to dinner
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

I find uncouth's very tough this time of year
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Welcome Fresh Fish!

Well done on the casting practice - you are doing something that very few of the rest of us actually do (i don't think the vaal veterans even know how to cast!), so it will serve you in good stead for the future. We should all practice casting more.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    (i don't think the vaal veterans even know how to cast!
    Hehe, good one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast