Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need to get a grip

Ja, that is what I was wondering.. Blank being supplied or does something need to be made up/utilised etc.. Doesn't sound to difficult, but the male ferrule section will just have to be finished off nicely. So I assume a random butt section blank of some rod will be used?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Thanks for the responses and offers guys.

I will try and explain a bit more. The rod is a hybrid rod that can either be used as a spinning rod, or a fly rod if need be. I guess it's more spinning than fly. The grip was designed in such a way that you can turn it either way to have more grip below the reel seat for spinning, or to have the reel at the end for fly fishing.

If Lefty K. was my grandfather I would probably hide the thing, but alas it has some sentimental value as I used it as my first fly rod, plus I caught my first yellow on it.

So, this piece of the rod had no blank sticking out on either end, as you need to be able to turn it both ways. Also, it's female, not male. I can try and draw a picture a bit later. Unfortunately, even though the rod is not THAT old at all, I cannot find a trace of it on Google.

With regards to rebuilding the rod. I'm toying with the idea of adding an extra section to the end of the rod to make it slightly longer ( +/- 7'6" instead of the current 6'6"), and then converting the rod to a fly rod only, thus the eyes will have to be changed (the first few are enormous by ff standards), and they might have to be moved as well.

I hope this helps. I will try and elaborate a bit more through the evening.

Default 6 pieces of 5

Alright, picture attached below of how the rod should currently be (obviously I'm missing the grip part, but this is how it is supposed to be like if all the sections are there). Hope this makes more sense now.

My idea that I'm toying with is to possibly add a section of about 1 foot between the butt and the current first section.

Do you guys think I will be able to get the blank pieces necessary? If I have to buy a complete blank and cut it up, then I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

It sounds like an interesting project.. I'm not sure adding in a blank section is a wise idea, but perhaps with it being near the base it may not have as much of an effect on the rod action.. Getting your hands on a blank to do so could be tricky though. I'd be interested to know how to go about do the female ferrule correctly..

I found a section that will work. It's a 1' piece of rod from an old broken 15"graphite baitcasting rod. It tapers slightly, so I will use it the other way around, i.e the thicker part will be at the top, and act as the female ferrule, while the rod tapers down to the butt. It feels weird now with no grip on etc, but I think once it is done it will work perfectly.

Instead of adding a proper reel seat, my plan is to make a straight level grip and use graphite sliding bands for the reel seat. This will allow the rod to still be used as either a light spinning rod by mounting a spinning reel near the top of the grip, or a fast-ish fly rod by mounting the reel towards the end of the grip, as it was originally designed to work.

I'm using champagne corks for the grip. I hope it will work as it's a beast of a job getting all the sides level. If this works, the cost of hardware for this job will be $0.95. Not bad I say. In case you are wondering, no i did not drink 15 bottles of champagne just for the cork :-) Gathered them at weddings...much less of a head ache!

Hey Benzo, if you need a hand with anything let me know. I'm based out in Kyalami. I have a lathe with mandrels which I use for turning down my grips etc, so if you like I can assist you with that. You can PM me if you interested. It may make your life a lot easier.

Ah Ryan, I will definitely press on your button when I get stuck. I want to learn to do these things though, so will try here first.

Actually I think I saw something that you posted on the "apricot insert" thread started by dtayl that was already helpful. On the threaded rod, it looks like you have joined two nuts right at the end of the rod. Is that to create a dimple (not sure the right term) for the tail stock to rest in? As opposed to drilling one. Or do you still drill a hole as well?

I also need to drill holes in the cork. You have a drill press I suppose. Perhaps I should come around for this job, that way I can see first hand how it's done. Will pm you when ready.

Can you turn steel as well? That will be REALLY helpful (I think) for an idea that I have.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 21-05-12 at 03:47 PM.

Yeah, pop round and we can have a look. I'll show you the setup I use, perhaps that will help you along the way. Bring all your cork etc. As for turning steel, I don't have a metal lathe.. Will probably get one at some stage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2