Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Belman in Western Cape

Plenty to grunts, never to milkies or permit. Fact is that one usually sight casts these fish- and chatting to guys like Fario who have caught milkies they are apparently not as difficult to hook as claimed. But fact of the matter is exactly what you say- they can be difficult to find- but if I understand milk fishing you don't ever blindly go out and cast for them?

And that's the point- show me one day where you can actually wade around FB sight targeting Bellies? LOL

Don't worry Fred- being another experienced saltwater guide, maybe you too can be a talented Belman whisperer in FB!
    Last edited by KevinC; 23-03-12 at 08:30 AM.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    And that's the point- show me one day where you can actually wade around FB sight targeting Bellies? LOL
    There are guys that have caught them sight casting in Woody Cape. Was a thread on Sea___.co.za not too long ago.

But enough of this back and forth...Mike what the hell is a Dassie

Any idea where to start outside of arniston? GPS? These rock gullies? Thinking about a trip Sat. Im guessing they like caves from the scientific name Umbrina Capenesis, Umbra for "shade" in latin.
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 23-03-12 at 08:57 AM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

The whole point is the challenge of finding them in a place that they can be sight fished too and caught. That is the aspect makes it epic.

Plus, if I were to chase them it wouldn't be in FB.

Not sure about your guiding reference though?

Pete, its a blacktail... I'll join in next year for a few belman

Woody Cape is a different story! Eastern Cape has some places that will definitely give a much better chance.

As alluded to- your big prob is finding them- from my diving experience in PE we almost always saw them in caves- another reason why they were often exploited by spearos. They could virtually guarantee Bellies in certain caves.

I still think that you are not practically going to ever be in a situation where you can hope to sight fish to them- maybe a fluke fish or two blind fishing?

To each his own- good luck.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post

To each his own- good luck.
    Well there's the beauty isn't.

And people shouldn't Pete (especially) or myself it can't be done. Makes it so much sweeter...

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    ...Mike what the hell is a Dassie

GPS? These rock gullies?
    Dassie = Blacktail = Kolstert = Diplodus capensis

34deg 40'25.60"S 20deg 14'00.46E There's also a good photo of the ledges and gullies on Google Earth. Low tide will expose the gullies.

According to Coastal Fishes of Southern Africa the Belman is found in caves, ledges and mixed Rock & sand surf zones.

We've caught them on sand prawn with a running trace. good Luck !!

In the Southern Cape we target Bellman on conventional tackle in the shallow water, close to the beach, over the sand. We use a 6 foot rod and small grinder.

If you cast more than 30m from the beach you cast over them. Casting to them here is not the challenge, the main question is what fly WILL work?

Old post but I found it interesting...Belman on fly...did anybody confirm with Sean Mills, Korrie, that he indeed catches on fly...if so what type of imitation.

Years ago when I used to dive and spearfish at Arniston, there were quite a lot of Bellman around, near the flat rocks between the Waenhuis cave and the hotel...they were often so close in on the lip of the shore that they often took you by surprise...could not catch them during the day on rod and line but at night...the visability was too good and they are skittish in the surf but they also tended to go into small caves.

I wonder if they are still found there ?

I don't know of any Belman taken on fly. The one's I have caught on bait were all in relatively calm conditions, low light and on worm baits - blood and mussel. I am sure thy eat many other food forms. They should still be there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast