Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Belman in Western Cape

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Belman in Western Cape

Out of pure interest,

I have been reading on saltwater flyfishing a lot but have not noticed any mention being made of Belman being caught on fly in the Western Cape. The belman looks much like the redfish you find in the flats in Florida and we have caught these on rock and surf light tackle before in False Bay. Great fun. They also venture very close inshore to gulleys within fly rodding distance at dawn and dusk. Previously taken some at Macassar and Swartklip in False Bay. The Belman feed on worms, small crabs and prawns.

Should anyone be willing to offer information, please do...

I just wanna catch one with R&S gear, let alone fly gear. But you are right - they are a species that should be catchable in the surf since the come so close in?

Maybe fish a very fast sinker in the surf zone with crab/prawn patterns? I say fast sinker so that the waves have less pull on the line. What d'you reckon?

I might just need to try it next time i am at Macs with the big rods out.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Yes, in Arniston we catch them on prawn between the Dassies in the gullies. If the come in a little closer at dawn & dusk they would be a marvellous target sp. Please remember they're on the red list. Don't keep any.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Yes, in Arniston we catch them on prawn between the Dassies in the gullies. If the come in a little closer at dawn & dusk they would be a marvellous target sp. Please remember they're on the red list. Don't keep any.
    Yes, I know that when the water is calm and flat in False Bay the Belman should be around, a little bit of colour in the water should help as well. The average Belman sizes have declined dramatically over the years...

I hope that someone would be able to explore this option with me in future, as fishing in Macassar by yourself is not the safest, best to go with a buddy... Early mornings is fine, but nighttime... Risky (I have heard horror stories of guys being robbed at night), unless I am wrong...

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    Yes, I know that when the water is calm and flat in False Bay the Belman should be around, a little bit of colour in the water should help as well. The average Belman sizes have declined dramatically over the years...

I hope that someone would be able to explore this option with me in future, as fishing in Macassar by yourself is not the safest, best to go with a buddy... Early mornings is fine, but nighttime... Risky (I have heard horror stories of guys being robbed at night), unless I am wrong...
    Just give a shout, I'm always up for a bit of fishing at Macs.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I just wanna catch one with R&S gear, let alone fly gear. But you are right - they are a species that should be catchable in the surf since the come so close in?

Maybe fish a very fast sinker in the surf zone with crab/prawn patterns? I say fast sinker so that the waves have less pull on the line. What d'you reckon?

I might just need to try it next time i am at Macs with the big rods out.
    Water at Macs might be to haevy for the fly? Think the better option to try and target a Belman might be when they come out at Melkbaai.

I've also been thinking of trying for Elf at Melkbaai in the evening later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    The belman looks much like the redfish you find in the flats in Florida and...
    The Belman is closely related to the Corbina, which is a very popular (and difficult) fly rod target in California on the beaches. It even has the same tassle underneath its chin. I definitely think the belman should also take a fly. Here are a few links to Californian Corbina:

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/corbi...hard-jacobsen/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...7outdoors.html

http://wjblog.net/2011/04/california...scott-donaghe/

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    The Belman is closely related to the Corbina, which is a very popular (and difficult) fly rod target in California on the beaches. It even has the same tassle underneath its chin. I definitely think the belman should also take a fly. Here are a few links to Californian Corbina:

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/corbi...hard-jacobsen/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...7outdoors.html

http://wjblog.net/2011/04/california...scott-donaghe/
    Thanks for the information, very helpful...

Regards

Sean Mills regularly caught bellman at the Strand pavilion, a couple of years ago.
    maybe give him a call.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Sean Mills regularly caught bellman at the Strand pavilion, a couple of years ago.
    maybe give him a call.
    On fly? (need more letters)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast