Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your best time to fish

Default Your best time to fish

I've read and heard a few guys saying that the afternoon is generally the best time to fish for Yellows on the Vaal.

My experience though, is that I'm getting ALL my fish in the morning, and so far I'm effectively blanking every session after lunch (except maybe once).

What's your best fishing time as a general rule?

What do you guys think could be the reason for me blanking the afternoon sessions. Assume that I'm using the same general tactics as in the morning. Leaving dry fly fishing out of the equation for now, should there be a difference in technique in fishing the afternoon session?

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I've read and heard a few guys saying that the afternoon is generally the best time to fish for Yellows on the Vaal.

My experience though, is that I'm getting ALL my fish in the morning, and so far I'm effectively blanking every session after lunch (except maybe once).

What's your best fishing time as a general rule?

What do you guys think could be the reason for me blanking the afternoon sessions. Assume that I'm using the same general tactics as in the morning. Leaving dry fly fishing out of the equation for now, should there be a difference in technique in fishing the afternoon session?
    Stay later towards supper and after, gets better then.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I can not comment on the afternoon evening session as I never fish it.

My favourite time on the Vaal, is pre dawn to 11: 00. This is summer and winter, dry fly and nymph.

Many hours doing " homework " has lead me to this conclusion.

However, Herman Botes, [ Flybum ] ( a Master f/f ) tends to dry fly fish for yellows in the late afternoon / evening, especially in winter.

He outfishes my morning sessions 15 to 1. ,

I know I should be fishing the late sessions in winter, but I LOVE the early morning mist, ( where you are rowing on knowledge, "cos you can't see 2 m in front of you ). To me this is just such a special time time of the day.

Sunrise is full of expectations.

Sunset is for celebrating getting through the day, irrespective of whether or not those expectations were realized, and cherishing what was actually achieved.

My 2c .
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I know I should be fishing the late sessions in winter, but I LOVE the early morning mist, ( where you are rowing on knowledge, "cos you can't see 2 m in front of you ). To me this is just such a special time time of the day.

Sunrise is full of expectations.

Sunset is for celebrating getting through the day, irrespective of whether or not those expectations were realized, and cherishing what was actually achieved.

My 2c .
    i like this quote Herman. now i just need to convince the wife.

I've only been once, and it was afternoon, and the yellows were scarce that day. people all around me were landing lots of muddies though.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

My opinion is that it broadly depends on water temperatures: In high summer, the water gets a bit warm in the afternoon, which puts the fish down until late in the day. Early morning works well at this time of year. By contrast, in spring/late autumn, the water is a bit cold in the morning and needs to warm up through the day before the insect life gets going, delivering better fisihing in the afternoon.

in general, my sessions from 10am onwards are always more productive than early morning, at all the venues i fish.

dont know why, havent thought too much on it. generally arrive at 9am nowadays or at 2pm and havent blanked in yonks (touch wood)
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Besides water temperature time of season, the afternoon session could always be tougher if you had a 3 hour session the morning.
    The concentration level goes down so you start missing those bytes. You fall around over the rocks, chasing away all fish around you.

My best times to fish is when it's raining, and when it's not.

Last edited by Michael; 10-02-12 at 01:30 PM. Reason: 'cos there's no such word as "rainging". :)

@Popp Are you meaning towards sunset and beyond. I've done that as well, still no luck.

@ Lt. Col. Herman Jooste, I'm with you on that one. The beauty of the early morning at the Vaal almost, and perhaps even actually, surpasses the joy of hooking into a fish. My favourite things in the world are standing in the middle of the Vaal with a fly rod as the sun rises, and swimming in a Cape stream.

@Glans I hear you, that's one of my theories as well. If I planned accordingly, I will start at 05:00ish, take a break at around 13:00, and continue till the sun sets. Maybe it's just too much for me. I definitely find that I do start trying funny things after a couple of hours in the water.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 10-02-12 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Besides water temperature time of season, the afternoon session could always be tougher if you had a 3 hour session the morning.
    The concentration level goes down so you start missing those bytes. You fall around over the rocks, chasing away all fish around you.
    I have noticed the drop in concentration levels in my own fishing. As soon as I start stumbling too often, or I pick up regular tangles, it's a sign for me to take a break. Often after taking a proper break, I start to pick up fish again. I think that the resting of tired muscles, rehidrating as well as just sitting quietly to think about my tactics, helps me to get the concentration levels back up again.

In general, I have been more successful during the morning sessions. I just love it out while its still cool and quiet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast