Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sage TXL vs TXL-F

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Andrew, it all depends on what you like. The TXL-F is not exactly "faster" than the TXL, but slightly crisper in action. It's a lot lighter than the TXL, and of course (as mentioned) comes in 4 pieces. I'd go for the TXL-F IF you like a slightly crisper action. Depends on what you want to do with it, and in which weight as well. In the #2 I'd get a TXL, anything heavier a TXL-F.
    The pure fact that the TXL-F is a lot easier fly/travel with is a huge plus for me too! What is your reason for only going for the TXL-F in a 3wt and up? I was planning on building one in a 2wt.. Also, what is your experience with the ZXL Blank, 2WT 8'0" 4PC?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The pure fact that the TXL-F is a lot easier fly/travel with is a huge plus for me too! What is your reason for only going for the TXL-F in a 3wt and up? I was planning on building one in a 2wt.. Also, what is your experience with the ZXL Blank, 2WT 8'0" 4PC?
    If you go for a #2, then I suppose you are looking at fishing smaller streams, and you might be looking for something with a little less "crispness" to it. The TXL gives you that - a nice smooth silky line out. The TXL-F will/can also do that, but generates a little more "oomph", which might not be what you want in a #2. I'm basing this one my own preference though, and what I would say I'd look for in a #2. The ZXL is even smoother than both the rods up here. It all depends on what the user likes. I fished the TXL-F #4 on Ben Lawers this weekend - a serious small stream, but had to step up to the #4 due to the wind. Was great, but would have prefered something a little "slower" for the type of fishing. It's splitting hairs really, as a #2 in either the ZXL, TXL or TXL-F would be great. Very subtle differences between the 3 rods.

If you go heavier than a #3, I'd say the TXL-F has the most "ooomph" between the 3, but length would be an issue for some. Take that into account. The TXL and TXL-F only comes in 7'10 at most. I'd go for the ZXL in the 8'0 #2 over the TXL-F - if that extra inch or so is going to bother you.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Rumor has it that the guys snap the TXL to get it replaced with the TXL-F.
    This is not true.

Regards

Andrew, it all depends on what you like. The TXL-F is not exactly "faster" than the TXL, but slightly crisper in action.
    What the difference between "faster action" and "crisper action"?
    The mere fact that a rod is "crisper" (recovers faster and reloads faster than a more medium action rod) means it's faster.

You get different actions...Xtra-Fast, Fast, Medium-Fast, Medium, etc etc etc... "Crisp" in not one of them, but rather a broader explanation of a faster actioned rod.

To me Andrew, it's the age-old thing...you have to cast (or if you can, fish it as well) the rods and make up your own mind. One guy's fast action is another guy's medium action.

Most important factor in any rod is the "fun to have/fish" factor. You can have the "best" rod in the world, but it doesn't mean you are going to like it, or it's looks. You will fish better with a rod that you feel great with when taking it out of the bag.

Take all the factors into consideration...looks, length (for your purpose), travel-ability, and does it suit your casting and fishing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What the difference between "faster action" and "crisper action"?
    It's how it feels in my hands that defines the above explanation. Yes, it's not a techincal explanation, nor is it going to re-write any definitions on rod action, but it does explain how I would classify it, and how it feels to me.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Andrew, it all depends on what you like. The TXL-F is not exactly "faster" than the TXL, but slightly crisper in action. It's a lot lighter than the TXL, and of course (as mentioned) comes in 4 pieces. I'd go for the TXL-F IF you like a slightly crisper action. Depends on what you want to do with it, and in which weight as well. In the #2 I'd get a TXL, anything heavier a TXL-F.
    Mario, I'll be using it for fishing dry and dropper with very light tippets on small streams for smallish LS and SS yellows, short casts, plus the occasional troot trip. I like that the TXL is not a fast action rod.

If I'm not mistaken, the 7 foot 10 3 piece TXL packs down to around the same length as a 4 piece 9 foot rod so it's not really an issue for travel. After reading all the info I'm leaning towards the TXL over the TXL-F.

Thanks again for all the info guys.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

[QUOTE=Michael;216773

To me Andrew, it's the age-old thing...you have to cast (or if you can, fish it as well) the rods and make up your own mind. One guy's fast action is another guy's medium action.

Most important factor in any rod is the "fun to have/fish" factor. You can have the "best" rod in the world, but it doesn't mean you are going to like it, or it's looks. You will fish better with a rod that you feel great with when taking it out of the bag.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree Mike. I really enjoyed casting the TXL but did not get the opportunity to cast the TXL-F. It's a case of either getting the rod that I know that I really enjoyed or take a gamble that I will like the TXL-F just as much or more. I think that I will be going with the TXL.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

It's how it feels in my hands that defines the above explanation. Yes, it's not a techincal explanation, nor is it going to re-write any definitions on rod action, but it does explain how I would classify it, and how it feels to me.
    It's just that some guys confuse "fast and crisp" with "stiff". Two different things.
    But "fast and crisp" go hand-in-hand.
    Last edited by Michael; 13-02-12 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    I agree Mike. I really enjoyed casting the TXL but did not get the opportunity to cast the TXL-F. It's a case of either getting the rod that I know that I really enjoyed or take a gamble that I will like the TXL-F just as much or more. I think that I will be going with the TXL.
    Yup, that's a good way to go. If you wait for a TXL-F and gamble, what if you don't like it? You already know you dig that TXL, so it's a sure bet.

I had a TXL 2wt and used it for a few years. I then built a ZXL 8'2 wt and ended up giving my TXL away. Does'nt mean the TXL is/was a bad rod, it's just that I prefer a more medium action.

The 4 piece option is a real bonus for all the reasons stated before. I have a TXL 000 still and never use it as it does not fit in the same rod case as all my other rods. (31.3" vs 27").

You cannot go wrong with a TXL-F or ZXL but I would suggest you try each one first and see which one feels better to you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast