Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boskop Bassing - 12 Feb

Default Boskop Bassing - 12 Feb

Spent the morning tubing boskop. Fishing got off to a slow start as I spent 40 minutes watching a juvi little sparrowhawk harras the local plovers - great to see

By the time I geared up it was after 09h00 ... a little later than i had hoped:

Never-the-less, conditions looked abolutely spectacular. The clarity of this dam always amazes me after a season of the vaal:

However, the weed growth was something else and i was quickly well stuck (a few times).

With the weed so thick, fishing was a real challenge with any decent sized fish giving you no chance on fly tackle ... somehow I managed to wrestle a few dinks out the grass:

After 2 hours of struggling in the weed i decided to call it a day. This ended up being a serious workout - for future reference probably better tubing boskop early season before the weed has completely overrun the dam
    Last edited by firephish; 12-02-12 at 08:24 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Thanks for the informative report Michael. There is going to be a bass challenge there soon and it's nice to know this beforehand.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Howzit firephish,

Was there a lot of "traffic" on the dam over the weekend? Looking for a new spot to explore next weekend. Thanks

Ollie

No, was pretty quite - one boat on the other side of the dam. Boskop is usually quite outside of competition dates. I think no petrol motors are allowed on the dam - which helps

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Was there a lot of "traffic" on the dam over the weekend? Looking for a new spot to explore next weekend. Thanks

Great thanks man, think I'm going to spend Friday night there so I hope there's no compo's this coming weekend.

Cheers
    Ollie

enjoy, i'd recommend taking the weedeater!

Some nice pics you took there!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    enjoy, i'd recommend taking the weedeater!
    yeah I can imagine it's going to be tough on the tube, but as long as it keeps other anglers away and provides decent cover for the bass in that clear water then I'm quite happy to suffer a bit

Bass challenge was on 28th of Jan so your safe ito comps. Dam should be quiet for a while, next comp is not there
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

According to a buddy who fishes Boskop regularly, ( conventional bass ) forget the inlet. Fish the old road crossing, all the reeds up to the dam wall, and then of course the dam wall.
    He uses an inflatable with a trolling motor.
    Entrance from the Game Reserve.

Just remember to have a rigged yellow fly rod with you, "cos as you are travelling you WILL come across schools of feeding yellows.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast