Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commercial fish farming

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    In another resturant (Ocean Basket) the line fish of the day was fresh Basa (check it out on google). (...) Nothing wrong with a fresh water kingklip (sorry barbel)
    Taste it, its rather good. In the UK and US, "Basa" or Vietnamese catfish, is often passed off as cod, although they taste quite different to me. Not at all like the African catfish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Taste it, its rather good. In the UK and US, "Basa" or Vietnamese catfish, is often passed off as cod, although they taste quite different to me. Not at all like the African catfish.
    Not sure why we except this (as a chef) i definetly would'nt and i would know the difference..also being from the UK no English people are happy with this situation not only are we not getting Cod we also are not getting the saving when we buy Basa (or cobbler as its known in UK) i think its about 30/40% cheaper,its a money making scam......i am amazed that we do not stand up for our consumer rights, when i go to a fish and chip shop i want to see the fish i am getting and i am prepared to wait that little bit longer, all this talk of commercial farming sounds like a con to me,its fine if your breeding catfish to feed the catfish eating public but if its to try and tap into a market that is ripping of consumers then this is problamatic.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Not sure why we except this (as a chef) i definetly would'nt and i would know the difference..also being from the UK no English people are happy with this situation not only are we not getting Cod we also are not getting the saving when we buy Basa (or cobbler as its known in UK) i think its about 30/40% cheaper,its a money making scam......i am amazed that we do not stand up for our consumer rights, when i go to a fish and chip shop i want to see the fish i am getting and i am prepared to wait that little bit longer, all this talk of commercial farming sounds like a con to me,its fine if your breeding catfish to feed the catfish eating public but if its to try and tap into a market that is ripping of consumers then this is problamatic.
    I agree completely. The tourism industry in SA promised to take steps to avoid this. Most fish outlets still cheat their customers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    I agree completely. The tourism industry in SA promised to take steps to avoid this. Most fish outlets still cheat their customers.
    And i must say Stephen that the big players in the markets like the I&J's of this world have come on board with very clear labelling on their products, the main problem is the fresh fish suppliers who have an abundance of linefish!!! They tell the restaurants what it really is but they add a caveat that "it taste like" or "you can get away with it being!!!" then the more unscrupulous chefs (under pressure to achieve C.O.S) will pass it on to the guest as high end product.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Something interesting with regards to Kurper. This was from a few years back....

Sorry, it's in Afrikaans as this was from the Rapport.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123