Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Leader to hand fly fishing

Default Leader to hand fly fishing

In Europe, the leader to hand techniques are currently a hot discusssion topic.

It started with the "mono nymphing".
    The French leader was a continuing development on this topic.
    The latest entails casting only special leaders, some off up to 50 feet.
    For the participants on the Nymphing Masterclass, they have cast the 40 foot Cz French leaders.
    Andre and Mark Krige have special leaders from Spain, of up to 50 feet.

These leaders are not for windy conditions, but provides superb sport in not so windy or maybe wind still conditions.

For some fly fishers, casting the fly line is part and parcel of sport.
    But the fly line in it's current form, is only 40 years maybe a bit more old.
    Before that, it was silk lines, and before that the guys use to fish with horse hair lines, green heart rods up to 5 meters.

So as the rods changed for green heart, to bamboo, to fibreglass, to graphite, and the use of graphite have been refined.

Have any of the forumers fished with these long leaders?
    if not, why not?
    If so, what is your opinion?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

These leaders are used for dry fly or nymphing
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Korrie please explain when you would need to cast 50ft of anything let alone a leader!!!!!!!!!! Maybe still water but what stream would this ever be used on, it seems that a leader of 50ft is purley for ego..(runs away and hides)

I am asking from a SA fishing perspective not what they do in Europe.
    Last edited by nicholas; 23-02-12 at 08:10 AM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Korrie, a question as usual.

These leaders, do they load the rod, or is it more of a lob wen a cast is made.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    Korrie, a question as usual.

These leaders, do they load the rod, or is it more of a lob wen a cast is made.
    I think what happens is someone in a rubber duck takes the end of the leader and rows to where you think the fish are are drops the fly off for you!!
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

For those interested here is article explaining this method of fishing which i still cannot think how it would be applied on our streams

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/#/ar...and-revolution
    James Boswell.

Nick
    On the Cape Streams, it is not so valid.
    Someone like Tim Rolston, have always maintained that a 20" leader, makes a big difference in catching fish on the Cape Streams.
    More and more, people who fish with the ultra long leaders are convinced that it makes a huge difference.

It is one of those things, if you dont try it, and master it properly, you will never know how good it is.

AB, this is proper casting. No lobbing of lead
    To watch a fly fisher casting these long leaders, is beautiful.
    Very similar to fly lines, shooting lines etc.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Nick
    On the Cape Streams, it is not so valid.
    Someone like Tim Rolston, have always maintained that a 20" leader, makes a big difference in catching fish on the Cape Streams.
    More and more, people who fish with the ultra long leaders are convinced that it makes a huge difference.

It is one of those things, if you dont try it, and master it properly, you will never know how good it is.

AB, this is proper casting. No lobbing of lead
    To watch a fly fisher casting these long leaders, is beautiful.
    Very similar to fly lines, shooting lines etc.
    I am happy with a 15ft leader thanks
    James Boswell.

There are a couple of guys, who have been fishing with these long leaders for the last 4 or 5 years on the streams, and they swear by it.

Nowadays, you can buy some of the leaders premade.
    I have seen some at Upstream, even bought a couple to compare the factory to the home made ones.

Chris V D Post have adapted the home made formulas for LM fishing and reckons it has improved his strike rate.

If a fish can "feel" a struggling baitfish, with its lateral line, if a fly line lands on the water 9 feet away from him, SURELY he will feel the vibration?
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I am happy with a 15ft leader thanks
    Or if a fly line lands 15ft from the fish, what is the chance of the fish feeling this in long pools, slow glides?
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast