Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pollution? Vaal Barrage

Is this from the barrage and below only, or stretching from the dam down (or even further).

just looking for a new place to fish this week...

Thumbs down Advised to stay off the River

Reply from Rand Water:

The barrage is generally polluted from flows from Gauteng with high nutrients etc as well as what it is in the barrage sand bed. What has happened though is that with the lack of high flows through the barrage ,high nutrient levels and the high summer water temperatures, there seems to be an algal bloom. With the higher temperatures Blue Green Algae grows. As the temperature drops the blue greens will disappear and the other algae species will prevail. Generally algae moves down the river as a plug. The area around Millionaires Bend is where it sits the longest. Nevertheless it would be a good idea to stay away from the water and not use it for anything. If you visit the www.resevoir.co.za website, the recreational report for the barrage is there and it gives you the risks for the different levels of algae.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Fark....so fishing the Vaal is out for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Fark....so fishing the Vaal is out for now?
    I guess so, until we know its a little clearer. I was on the river on Friday and found conditions and fishing very strange
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    I guess so, until we know its a little clearer. I was on the river on Friday and found conditions and fishing very strange
    Where on the Vaal and strange how? If you don't mind me asking...

Quote Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
    Where on the Vaal and strange how? If you don't mind me asking...
    I'm quoting between 2 threads

Elgro. Fishing was off, fish just werent taking, plenty scum coming down the river and presenting dries in it, nothing was taking. Not even the barbel were showing themselves and fished the evening rise with hardly any rises at all......very strange. Considered this after a very active couple of weeks

I drove over the Vaal on the N1 yesterday and was shocked

Yes the river is low but the colour ? Aaaarrrggghhh, deep algae green with filthy scum lines near the bank.

Reminds me of Harties, absolutely disgusting.

I have never in 7 years seen the Vaal in this condition.

I will be travelling that way again tomorrow and will take some pics on my way back.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

This is terrible news guys, does anyone have any more info on the situation? it seems at though the change was so sudden? There are reports in the vaal update thread from friday and saturday with pics and the water looks normal?
    Is this all from the barrage down? or also above the barrage?

Looks like you guys on the Vaal don't need rotenone, you have something more deadly! Very sad ....
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Might as well go fish Hartebeespoort at this point
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast