Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pollution? Vaal Barrage

Disgusting and sad, this has taken a year to get like this, last year feb the river was still running at just under 1000cms. Its criminal really. Yes it is bad for the recreational user but i wish this useless government would catch a wake up and realise that if they thought we had problems in sa with our electricity issues just imagine how much sh!t we going to be in when we don’t have water for everyday consumption, this effects the whole country.

Just as the conditions were starting to look good again for the first time in many years

Unhappy

I was on the Vaal two weeks ago above Parys, when the breeze droped of in the evening the smell from the river was rather unpleasent - Ive had constant jipo guts and on and of cramps for the last two weeks, there is currently deafnatly a water quality issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    Disgusting and sad, this has taken a year to get like this, last year feb the river was still running at just under 1000cms. Its criminal really. Yes it is bad for the recreational user but i wish this useless government would catch a wake up and realise that if they thought we had problems in sa with our electricity issues just imagine how much sh!t we going to be in when we don’t have water for everyday consumption, this effects the whole country.

Just as the conditions were starting to look good again for the first time in many years
    For sure! The problem is that, lets face it, all rivers (klip, blesbok, suikerbos...ect) leading into the Vaal are polluted. The vaal acts as the filter (dam and river), the crap builds up and settles in the silt. Not only that but when it rains, blocked/unmanaged sewerage lines and works overflow....you know the rest, all land up in the system. Also not forgetting AMD!

When we get these small bursts of rain (currently), having these issues.......everything is picked up and carried and dispersed and settles again.....and so on and so on

If you look back at the last two year floods (the flush), it has given the river a nice breather.....as seen by all who have had a great current season as me. Not saying lets have major floods because that in itself is terribly destructive but it can act as a blessing in disguise.

Now, back to square one......and await the next event !!!!!

BUT

If we all voice, action and protect our presious resource and fish, which many have done (myself included).....we can control it too a point and try maintain what little beauty we have left!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Might as well go fish Hartebeespoort at this point
    Werner, Harties is cleaner at the moment. Drove over the Vaal on the N1 again today. All I saw was a sluggish green snake, not a vibrant live river, with not a rise, splash or anything.

The Riet as it flows into the Loch Vaal area was brown, so it's not coming from there.

My theory ( totally unproved ) is that the local sewerage works took advantage of the floods over the last 2 years and dumped tons if raw sh!t into the river. Most of this sh1t settled on the botton in the the Loch Vaal area.

Now that the flows are low and the water unseasonably hot the sh1t is feeding the algea, hence what Rand Water call an Algea Bloom, which the say will go away as the water gets colder.

There's no hyacinth left after the floods to clean the water as it goes down river, and this year no rock snot at the start of summer.

I fear that this winter could be a case of fishing in a green sewer.

Needless to say I an P1ssed off, very p1ssed off.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

i feel the same way Herman.

i just got into this sport, and I was really looking forward to landing yellows on a river, and now this...

totally miff with this right now.

also - in the news on the radio this morning, they mentioned about 6 rivers and hartebeespoort dam that have put out warnings to stop all recreational activity and consumption of the water.

grrrrr - andre is right about this useless governement!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Here is a snapshot of the algae and ecoli count.......

I would love to see whats happening below the Barrage
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Here is a snapshot of the algae and ecoli count.......

I would love to see whats happening below the Barrage
    I wouldn't recommend swimming in the klip ...if i read this chart correctly (unless you need a quick and free stomach flush)

Its also amazing how much the readings fluctuate, both in time and location.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 02-03-12 at 12:11 PM.

Exclamation

New report is out:

http://www.reservoir.co.za/

Scroll down and check under WHAT'S NEW; during summer a new report is generated each Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Werner, Harties is cleaner at the moment. Drove over the Vaal on the N1 again today. All I saw was a sluggish green snake, not a vibrant live river, with not a rise, splash or anything.

The Riet as it flows into the Loch Vaal area was brown, so it's not coming from there.

My theory ( totally unproved ) is that the local sewerage works took advantage of the floods over the last 2 years and dumped tons if raw sh!t into the river. Most of this sh1t settled on the botton in the the Loch Vaal area.

Now that the flows are low and the water unseasonably hot the sh1t is feeding the algea, hence what Rand Water call an Algea Bloom, which the say will go away as the water gets colder.

There's no hyacinth left after the floods to clean the water as it goes down river, and this year no rock snot at the start of summer.

So now I must travel 1000km to ff in sh@t over Easter, rather party and tie some flies, or share some flies is better said.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The numbers seem to be dropping though, at least on the extreme ends.

Just curious, if someone knows, why is it that areas with a high e-coli count generally have low algae count, and vice versa?

That stretch of water by Baddrif Bridge seems good enough to drink! I hope my tap water comes from there Pity there are no riffles there....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast