Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Prediction- Future SM Yellow fishing

Default Prediction- Future SM Yellow fishing

I am sticking my neck out and making a prediction about future SM yellowfish fishing.

In the next 2 to 3 years more and more fly fishers will fish with #3 rods, mostly 10" and large arbour reels, with very smooth drag. Thinner tippets and lighter weighted flies will be used

I might live in the Cape, but have spent a lot of time on the Vaal and Orange over the last 2 years, plus a trip or 2 to the Richtersveld. When targeting SM, I have almost exclusively used a #3 rod.
    You will still be taken to the cleaners by a large fish every now and again, just like with your #5 or #6, but the overall enjoymnet and skill of the fly fishers will improve to land more big fish on the lighter tackle.

Do you agree or disagree
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Agree! Skill levels will definitely improve and anglers will always try go lighter but if you dare....then go for it and be prepared to get smoked
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    In the next 2 to 3 years more and more fly fishers will fish with #3 rods, mostly 10" and large arbour reels, with very smooth drag. Thinner tippets and lighter weighted flies will be used
    While stalking them with nymphing or dry fly techniques maybe, but then again you will find the fish are smaller. Guys actively targetting bigger SM (3kgs and up) will resort to lobbing streamers It's a much more effective not to mention action packed technique.

I don't however agree that using lighter rods/tippets will invariably teach people how to fish better and I don't particularly see it as kind to the fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I don't however agree that using lighter rods/tippets will invariably teach people how to fish better and I don't particularly see it as kind to the fish.
    perhaps, but what it does tech you, is how to fish effectively using lighter equipment, which leads to the handling of thinner tippetts, getting smaller flies to sink using techniques rather than loads of weight, and of course how to bring a fish to the net quickly. You will be surprised in the difference in pulling power between a 3 wt and a 5wt... not much difference.
    Using the capability of the fly rod in bringing a fish to the net, is a technique that is still largely misunderstood by many Local anglers, who still believe that a thick tippet and leader, is the key to "muscle" the fish is. I understand this however, and when I see the way that some guys fish, I'm not surprised that they need such thick tippetts. Each to his own I guess, but lighter tackl is definatly going to up the catch rate, besides, it's a lot more fun.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I don't however agree that using lighter rods/tippets will invariably teach people how to fish better and I don't particularly see it as kind to the fish.[/QUOTE]

If the extra time and stress this causes can be avoided, by using a 5wt, why prolong the fight?

Possibly true, but I think it will depend like Bertu said on what you are targeting on the day.

Also on the Angler's conscience and skills level.
    Last edited by pieterkriel; 13-04-12 at 10:03 AM.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by thomasvdb View Post
    If the extra time and stress this causes can be avoided, by using a 5wt, why prolong the fight?
    I would guess a lot of people are scared of popping the tippet on a heavier rod, and that they play the fish a lot more carefully, and therefor a lot longer than needed. Dunno, just a guess ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    While stalking them with nymphing or dry fly techniques maybe, but then again you will find the fish are smaller. Guys actively targetting bigger SM (3kgs and up) will resort to lobbing streamers It's a much more effective not to mention action packed technique.

There are many techniques one can apply and there will instances where big boys will pick up #16 - #18 flies, representing their natural food size.

You are right, it isnt kind to the fish but a skilled/conservative angler will get the fish in as quick as possible, then reviving and releasing in the correct manner. Nothing wrong with a little light fun but it does require some skill.

Yes, this is coming from someone who is very conservative minded No hypocrisies here
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Yes, this is coming from someone who is very conservative minded No hypocrisies here
    So you are a Treurnicht by heart??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

If you are actively targeting LARGE fish, agreed. The bigger stick is the answer.

I have fished with an Stealth Infinity #3 and lately with the Sage ESN #3.
    On the recent trip to the Richtersveld, I caught on the ESN, on the one afternoon about 60 Muddies, between 1 and 4 pounds.

I cannot say that I would have landed the fish much faster on a #5.
    Because I fished lighter tippets, and you can only pul as hard as your tippet will allow.
    With a #3 you fight with a "straighter stick" and more on the reel, if you have a heavier tippet.

But as mentioned, this in a prediction. Lets see what happens.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast