Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Meet the Rotenone experts.... 1 March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I don't recall any threads being deleted but maybe I am wrong? If this one wasn't deleted then I wonder about the others?
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...light=Rotenone
    Definitely deleted. I distinctly remember the "conversation" but whatever, anyway in the above thread Wulf sums it up nicely in his last post and I definitely take sides with him over the powers that be.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

We are against this action...

There are better methods than rotenone, which, due to personal involvement, the so call experts, would never entertain.

If you want a better understanding of how to do things, please listen to the podcast on the link below...

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podca...podcast_s.html

What amazes me about this whole debate is the simple fact that its fruitless................We (fly fishermen) have lost the debate in fact you have to ask ourselves was there even a debate to begin with apart from on the social networks and in magazines,seems to me the powers that be made the descion in advance of any debate....So we can discuss it till the cows come home but bottom line is we lost the arguement...The conservationist () won the debate and are going to put Roteonne in some of our beloved trout waters.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Thank goodness the money is near the major cities, and our trout waters here are safe.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

..... I've heard lots of stories about catches on the Holsloot, Berg, Smalblaar... in the early days. When trout were first introduced and they munched away at all the minnows, frogs, fairies, crabs, locals ..
    Cannot wait for those days again, rotenone now and an accidental trout release in a couple of years... Happy days again...

Spot the sarcasm.
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    an accidental trout release in a couple of years... Happy days again...
    Why wait as long as 'a couple of years'? I'm sure some good Samaritan will be on hand to 'accidentally' return trout to their home as soon as the rotenone has cleared...
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Why wait as long as 'a couple of years'? I'm sure some good Samaritan will be on hand to 'accidentally' return trout to their home as soon as the rotenone has cleared...
    I want everyone to think there are no fish in the stream so I have it all to my self..
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    ... an accidental trout release in a couple of years... Happy days again...
    Except if the papgooiers beat us to it with a vet carp release

But on a serious note, the best approaches to conservation are conservative, not radical like rotenone.

Here is a link to a scientific study that found a genetic bottleneck after rotenone - and it was not even an application to the whole river system:

http://www.nativefishlab.net/publica...et_al_1993.pdf

Please be aware that the rotenone treatment causes a genetic bottleneck in EVERY species affected in the treatment area - all the countless thousands of tiny organisms as well as the few "glamour" species they are trying to protect. The danger is basically "invisible" to us because it looks so good shortly after restocking - but we have NO IDEA of the GENETIC TREASURE that was LOST at the molecular level.
    Last edited by William Ewels; 28-02-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Thank goodness the money is near the major cities, and our trout waters here are safe.
    For now...

Quote Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
    For now...
    Unless you know something we don't, I'm quite sure that this will stay clear of the rural areas.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast