Thread: FINALLY - First Leerie

Default FINALLY - First Leerie

So yesterday afternoon late, my Brother-in-Law and myself decided to head down to Big Dog to wet a line. He with his box of lures and me with my fly rod.

I was down there last weekend and the mouth was only about 2 metres wide and very shallow. Well, when we got there the big swell that have been running has opened the mouth up nicely. It is about 50m wide and 1.5m deep.

So we set to work on the pushing tide. I am very please to say the the long rod outfished the lure fishermen 4 to none!

I managed 4 small leeries on a popper. One of those round ones with the hollow nose. I was using the popper that looks like a flat piece of foam tied onto the top of the hook. I got a few chases on this but no commitment. I then swapped and got a hookup on my third cast! The hollow nose seems to move more water than the other. The only problem with using poppers in the current, the drag of the floating fly line seems to pull the popper slightly sub surface and reduce the top water action? Any suggestions here would be apreciated.

Attached is two pics of the biggest of the 4!

Definately got the itch now....just got to go back before the mouth closes and hopefully the fish will grow in size!

Awesome, they only get bigger...

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

good job...

nice pink bucket! LOL.

i only wish i lived near the ocean to fish more often, and target the bigger, more powerful fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    So yesterday afternoon late, my Brother-in-Law and myself decided to head down to Big Dog to wet a line. He with his box of lures and me with my fly rod.

I was down there last weekend and the mouth was only about 2 metres wide and very shallow. Well, when we got there the big swell that have been running has opened the mouth up nicely. It is about 50m wide and 1.5m deep.

So we set to work on the pushing tide. I am very please to say the the long rod outfished the lure fishermen 4 to none!

I managed 4 small leeries on a popper. One of those round ones with the hollow nose. I was using the popper that looks like a flat piece of foam tied onto the top of the hook. I got a few chases on this but no commitment. I then swapped and got a hookup on my third cast! The hollow nose seems to move more water than the other. The only problem with using poppers in the current, the drag of the floating fly line seems to pull the popper slightly sub surface and reduce the top water action? Any suggestions here would be apreciated.

Attached is two pics of the biggest of the 4!

Definately got the itch now....just got to go back before the mouth closes and hopefully the fish will grow in size!
    NIce fish Rob IM also still searching for my first one..seen chases but nothing commiting but im hanging in there!

Keep it up, big ones will follow

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBMC View Post
    NIce fish Rob IM also still searching for my first one..seen chases but nothing commiting but im hanging in there!

Keep it up, big ones will follow
    Mark, that piece of water you have to cross to Paradise beach have leeries.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The garden route is full of these boys, we caught almost 40 last week between 2 and in 45min, every cast would have 4-6 fish follow it and eating, insane stuff, wish that I brought my 3wt allong.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    .... insane stuff, wish that I brought my 3wt allong.
    That's my kinda thinking - packing a 9wt and 2/3wt is slightly inconvenient but a major bonus when the little leeries show up to push the ultralight fun button
    The highest form of existence is play.

Thanks folks...was super chuffed. Going to try my luck again tonite!

@ Vee Cee....just for the record, I'm no bulls supporter!