Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Breaking strain vs knot strenght vs fish that got away

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Used a new brand this weekend - got popped twice by fish I should have landed. 6 spools of this stuff going in the bin, and back to Rio Powerflex thanks.
    Maybe try a different knot.
    I know of a couple of instances where this solved the problem.

What knot where you using?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I use 6-10lb line. I guess I am not limiting myself as I use fluorocarbon instead of mono
    If you tie k@k knots then use fluoro instead of thinner mono
    How would fluro assist with bad knots? I though that flurocarbon was a lot more vulnerable to bad knots.
    What are you fishing for with 6 - 10 pound line?...Tarpon?
    Last edited by Andre; 28-02-12 at 02:07 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Personally I use Maxima line for yellowfish and the uniknot I use 99% of the time
    Last edited by Pipe; 28-02-12 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Maybe try a different knot.
    I know of a couple of instances where this solved the problem.

What knot where you using?
    Not the knot - same knot I've been using for years. 1st time using that tippet though ... last time as well. Stuff called Linx.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    How would fluro assist with bad knots? I though that flurocarbon was a lot more vulnerable to bad knots.
    What are you fishing for with 6 - 10 pound line?...Tarpon?
    Fluoro would not assist at all with regards to bad knots.
    Go read again what I said.

Yes, Tarpon.

I had also problems with linx. Now I do not use it anymore.
    Does not like shocking at all
    Take the line wrap around your hands and rip it it snaps. A tipical yellowfish strike will break it. I think it is a very brittle line, probably to much carbon compound?

Jannie

mark Banned User

I took advice from The largie whisperer in one of the threads and bought Maxima plus, its thinner than Rio and personally I think it's one of the best mono lines out there

So all things being equal and you tie a perfect Knot of 6x onto 5x what is the breaking strain at the knot..?
    Last edited by nicholas; 28-02-12 at 06:41 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    So all things being equal and you tie a perfect Knot of 6x onto 5x what is the breaking strain at the knot..?
    Depending on what knot you use, with a Blood knot 95% of the 6x breaking strain. That is if you tie the knot correct, without any stuttering in the closing of the knot
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    It's difficult to determine the strength of a knot in pounds of strain. A 6x tippet, has a breaking strain of around 3 pounds, but this is also dependent on many things, as I have taken much heavier fish on than 3 pounds on 6x. It comes down to your own fishing style, your rod's ability to protect the tippet, and the quality of the tippet. I have also lost small fish to breakoffs, on much heavier tippets, so it is very difficult to say, but I recon that a good knot should work every bit as well as the tippett itself.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast