Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Breaking strain vs knot strenght vs fish that got away

What Andre has said is pretty much spot on, it comes down to shock loading. Most lines will test far higher in a gradual pull than a sharp sudden pull.

To give you an idea how different these two numbers can be, artlure and deep sea guys generally set their working drag at a max of 30% of the breaking strain of the line.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I took advice from The largie whisperer in one of the threads and bought Maxima plus, its thinner than Rio and personally I think it's one of the best mono lines out there
    Hi Mark,

Im pretty sure I said Platinum and not Maxima.

Guys

As a matter of interest, and not quite relevant to leader/tippet knots, We had a knot competition one night at the bar in Alphonse. The guides plus whoever else wanted to enter had to tie their preferred knot to one end of a thin steel pipe. The competitor tied his knot to a similar piece of pipe. I think we used 30 lb mono as the line. The competitors held onto their pieces of pipe and pulled apart. The winner was obviously the knot that held.

At the end, a blood-knot won the day.

Interestingly, we also did an experiment where we introduced a "windknot". Not one breakage occurred at the windknot, the pipe (or hook if you like) knot always broke first.

After the competition I did and experiment by wrapping the mono around the pipe twice and simply ended it off with two half hitches. This home brewed knot beat the winning blood knot. My theory was that two wraps had a much higher friction component that did the work or resisting the load.

So, maybe we should think about passing our line through the hook eye twice before completing our knots, especially for salt water application?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    So, maybe we should think about passing our line through the hook eye twice before completing our knots, especially for salt water application?
    There is a knot like that somewhere, not so? Quite sure about it. Thanks though Neil - will look into this!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Where does a Surgeons knot fit in to all this, breaking strain i mean.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

http://www.shanesfishing.co.za/world...-fishing-knot/

Interesting this. Also twice through the hook eye. Similar too for the Palomar knot.

http://www.shanesfishing.co.za/world...-fishing-knot/

Interesting this. Also twice through the hook eye. Similar too for the Palomar knot.
    thats a uni knot

"If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Peter

I thought the Uni-knot only went through the hook eye once. (A bit of googling confirms this). The double turn, as per your illustration, improves on the Uni-knot imho. (BTW, I also saw your source of diagram on the net and yes, it is called a Uni-knot there.)

At the knot comp I spoke about the second strongest knot, after the modified blood knot, was a Uni.

dont trust a word this man says.....not sure if it was the dirty zandvlei water or what but the alphonse knot he tried to pass onto kevin cox and myself didnt hold up....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Guys

As a matter of interest, and not quite relevant to leader/tippet knots, We had a knot competition one night at the bar in Alphonse. The guides plus whoever else wanted to enter had to tie their preferred knot to one end of a thin steel pipe. The competitor tied his knot to a similar piece of pipe. I think we used 30 lb mono as the line. The competitors held onto their pieces of pipe and pulled apart. The winner was obviously the knot that held.

At the end, a blood-knot won the day.

Interestingly, we also did an experiment where we introduced a "windknot". Not one breakage occurred at the windknot, the pipe (or hook if you like) knot always broke first.

After the competition I did and experiment by wrapping the mono around the pipe twice and simply ended it off with two half hitches. This home brewed knot beat the winning blood knot. My theory was that two wraps had a much higher friction component that did the work or resisting the load.

Did anyone try two bimini twists cats pawled together? Would have thought not much could beat that one.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast