Thread: Daiwa SL50SH or Toruim

Default Daiwa SL50SH or Toruim

Ok I know this is a fly fishing forum but lots of you guys do rock and surf.

I have just got myself a Shimano Exage rod with a 6 - 8oz tip. I currently have a penn500 which I think is an awesome reel, but certain people do not agree and I am inclined to agree that the drag is not good enough for a big shark. I am not prepared to spend the money associated with Trinidad, Saltist or Saltiga. So the choice has come down to Daiwa Sealine SL50SH or the Shimano Torium. Some help please?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

The Daiwa Sealine SL50SH is lovely all round reel but a bit light in the trousers for the bigger sharks. The Torium will do the job but will advise you to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex.

I'm not planning on targeting big bronzies yet. Going to target spotties, raggies, and the like. Is the SL50SH too small for that?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichia Amia View Post
    The Daiwa Sealine SL50SH is lovely all round reel but a bit light in the trousers for the bigger sharks. The Torium will do the job but will advise you to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex.
    Welcome, what is your take on ff for sharks????

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I'm not planning on targeting big bronzies yet. Going to target spotties, raggies, and the like. Is the SL50SH too small for that?
    Big or small bronzies or sharks in general can eat your fly, anytime be prepared.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Not interested in sharks on fly at the moment. Just busy learning how to catch them R&S at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Ok I know this is a fly fishing forum but lots of you guys do rock and surf.

I have just got myself a Shimano Exage rod with a 6 - 8oz tip. I currently have a penn500 which I think is an awesome reel, but certain people do not agree and I am inclined to agree that the drag is not good enough for a big shark. I am not prepared to spend the money associated with Trinidad, Saltist or Saltiga. So the choice has come down to Daiwa Sealine SL50SH or the Shimano Torium. Some help please?
    Go for the SL50SH. Ive been fishing competative ROck&SUrf for many years and i tell you the SL50SH is a good all round reel! Ive got big edible fish on it (45kg Kob) and big sharks as well. SHimano Torium's ive seen just cant handle it like the Daiwa and the drag is uber smooth. Just make sure you look after it propper then it will last you a life time. MAny of my mates had Toriums and sold them after 2-3outings. Drags busting on big fish etc naah not worth it.

If time comes and you wana target big bronzies etc, the SL50SH is just as big as the Saltist 50 or even the Penn Fathoms... You will get about 450-500m 50lbs Berkley WHiplash Braid on and prob another 250-300m .50mono on top. If it takes all that off, then bud its not meant to be haha

Booger Rose Banned User

I fish the Exage 1468 with a Torium - that rod and reel was made for each other. Just as many bad stories you hear about the Shimano you hear about the Daiwa. I've upgraded my Torium to carbonontex washers and extra bearing on the shaft - ultra smooth and no problems. my reel is fished at least once a week and is nearly 7 years old.. You can cast and 8 ouncer a mile!

I have the smaller Daiwa sealine (SL30) on a Ten footer Exage, and must also say - absolutely lovely reel and I will not change it at all. Great scratching set-up. That means, you can go and buy any one of the two reels and you will be happy with your set-up.

On the Penn Jigmaster - if that is still you're reel - get rid of it. I started out with the 500's and they are fantastic reels, but very old now. The shaft only run on a bush on each side and there is absolutely no comparison between the new reels and the old ones, casting, breaking or just raw power.. Think the Torium runs on something like 5 or 6 ballbearings and that thing casts fantastic.

As i've said - nothing wrong with the Daiwa, nothing wrong with the Torium -both great reels and you will be happy with both. My personal choice is the Torium and I'll buy another one tomorow if something should happen.