Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bass and dry flies.

Default Bass and dry flies.

Yesterday popped to Phillips place to have a go at some bass and stock up on some bits i needed, so went down to the bottom dam which is very low and the weed beds are pretty thick, but there are gaps where you can see the fish swimming around the water is gin clear, so i proceed to throw flies into the clear section then pop,pop,pop the fly a few strips back then hit the weed beds and tangle up,after a while i got annoyed and thought how can i solve this problem of dragging a semi sunken flie into the weed bed.
    On the streams this year i have caught loads of small mouth bass on dry flies so thought if they take them a largemouth will surley....only problem was i left all my dry flies in the car,but there in the corner of my box was a DDD but not one i had seen before its was just the cone piece with nothing else except a few bits hanging of it looked like legs i suppose it was large as well a size 10 hook,first cast leave the flie there 10 seconds later BAM this bass hit the flie with vengence, i tried like hell to pull that thing out of the weeds but with no luck reed beds one everytime. So my question is do bass always like to chase after there food or are they just has happy taking something thats justing sitting on the water minding its own bussiness.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    yesterday popped to phillips place to have a go at some bass and stock up on some bits i needed, so went down to the bottom dam which is very low and the weed beds are pretty thick, but there are gaps where you can see the fish swimming around the water is gin clear, so i proceed to throw flies into the clear section then pop,pop,pop the fly a few strips back then hit the weed beds and tangle up,after a while i got annoyed and thought how can i solve this problem of dragging a semi sunken flie into the weed bed.
    On the streams this year i have caught loads of small mouth bass on dry flies so thought if they take them a largemouth will surley....only problem was i left all my dry flies in the car,but there in the corner of my box was a ddd but not one i had seen before its was just the cone piece with nothing else except a few bits hanging of it looked like legs i suppose it was large as well a size 10 hook,first cast leave the flie there 10 seconds later bam this bass hit the flie with vengence, i tried like hell to pull that thing out of the weeds but with no luck reed beds one everytime. So my question is do bass always like to chase after there food or are they just has happy taking something thats justing sitting on the water minding its own bussiness.:d
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Any dry fly suggestions.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nic, bass are oppertunistic fooshies, they will bloody well chow anything, there have even been reports of monster bass zappig small Malechite Kingfishers, trues bob!

So, bass will chow anything if it is fleeing or just hanging around...you have to figure out what they want.

There is a technique called dead-sticking, where the lure is presented and just left still for quite a while...sometimes,. they just cant resist and they klap the lure, or after a few mintutes, it takes one twitch to entice a bite...

So play around...if all else fails, use diesel...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Nic, bass are oppertunistic fooshies, they will bloody well chow anything, there have even been reports of monster bass zappig small Malechite Kingfishers, trues bob!

So, bass will chow anything if it is fleeing or just hanging around...you have to figure out what they want.

There is a technique called dead-sticking, where the lure is presented and just left still for quite a while...sometimes,. they just cant resist and they klap the lure, or after a few mintutes, it takes one twitch to entice a bite...

So play around...if all else fails, use diesel...
    All good shammers,so basically throw the kitchen sink at them and they will take anything, why are trout not that easy or Vaal Carp for that matter.
    James Boswell.

Umm...not that simple Nic...you have figure them out....who says that they are only gong to moer flies on the surface, maybe/maybe not...

Perhaps they only want wet flies, buggers...etc etc...

They can be tricky believe me....

As with all fishing, you have your on days and your off days....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi Nic,

I got some good bass advice from Ricko from Fly Fisher unlimited a while ago. Where I fished for large mouth bass. The Fly was a hopper pattern tied out of foam.

The hopper was fished dead drift style. With a twitch every few seconds. The bass slammed the hopper pattern repeatedly. This was even after the bass fisherman resorted to using worms. I still managed to pick up more fish at regular intervals.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

nic.....i remember jason from the site(he hasnt been on here for a while....he had the calvin and hobbs avatar)he fished a hopper pattern like this with rubber legs etc...static drift...think he said sean mills told him it worked well...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Thanks Any dry fly suggestions.
    The foam hopper patterns (Brown/yellow/white/orange combos) are a good idea as well as small gurglers or flippers (Chartreuse/white). Having said that, water colour also plays a role. (Tannin stained vs Gin/Whisky clear). Dahlberg divers are also good.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

A Foam hopper works well or a madam X type fly. I also often suspend a fritz or zonker style fly underneath the hopper. The surface fly attracts the bass and they often take the sub surface fly. When they do, it registers on the dry fly.... Deadly....
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast