Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best producing body colour (Hopper)

Arrow Best producing body colour (Hopper)

Out of interest what has been your most successful Hopper body colour or do you like to tie them in every colour of the rainbow just in case?

Thanks!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Brown body
    Green body
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

I'm interested to hear the answers here. I very seldom fish hoppers but am busy tying up Uncle Ed's hoppers for the Bushmans in few weeks. Have done them in yellow and tan so far.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

4. Default

Brown, yellow and red
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Brown, yellow and red
    I have been experimenting allot with various colours. The one thing I noticed as that certain colour hoppers hatch together at certain times in certain places.

Around one bank in Sterkies I found allot of green hoppers, on another bank yellow. I just match the hatch!

Personally I like orange and yellow for attractors, and greens and browns for my skittish fish.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Brown and black

I you look at naturals they are brown, green or yellow or combination of these colours. You sometimes get ones with red, orange legs.

Personally only had success with brown and black, but the black is a cricket imitation.

Tan, by such a big margin that I dont bother tying any other colour anymore.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Blog Entries

I have fished Ed's hopper quiet a few times with success its amazing how the trout klapp this thing.

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-ty...herbsts-hopper
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I go yellow, hot orange, and tan as a neutral colour.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Tan, yellow and black has brought their fare share of fish to the net. Also believe that green/lime could produce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast