Thread: Posion - Midge control

Default Posion - Midge control

Morning
    This weekend I heard, with obvious concern, about poison used to control midges at one of my venues on the Orange River. Apparently it is some kind of brown liquid and they spray it onto the water from a chopper. Does anybody know this kind of poison? Since the time it was sprayed last year I have not noticed any fish kills or change in aquatic insect life. In fact the system seems very healthy especially with the apex predators . If they are healthy then the system usually is healthy.
    Thanks,
    B
    Streamer fishing rules!

This happens every year.
    The BITTING midges becomes a plague.
    It becomes intolerable next to the river with thousands and thousands swarming and biting every living thing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

those biting midges are a real pest on the vaal. i allways look like a war veteran when coming from orkney golf club even with long trousers and tabard. and those bites swell and makes all kind of nastys befor healing
    Gert Ferreira

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

~by Washington Irving~

http://www.techletter.com/Archive/Te...micalctrl.html

Here's some interesting reading on the matter. I know that many of the proponents of midge control, view it as harmless to the rest of the system, but i wonder....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I thought Chironomids were yellowfish food.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was wondering how concerned I should be, but as I said the whole area around the river there seems more than fine. Oh ja, there are still lots of midges left, got the itches to prove it!
    Streamer fishing rules!

As long as I can remeber have they being doing this and it hapens annually. A nice campfire usualy keeps these "brandassies" (Afr.) at bay.