Thread: Wanting to learn

Default Wanting to learn

Greetings to you all. Been gone for a while.

Just got back from 5 days in Richardsbay.tried my rod at salt water (again) with very little success.
    It was not fishless with one yellowtail and 5 grunter (all under 700g) being caught.
    I have tried to gather more info on the subject to help me but still I feel at a total loss when trying.

I am off to Dbn for a week on sunday for work and then to Umhloti for a week of holiday with the family then back to pinetown for 3 more days work
    .If any one could help an addict out who wishes to learn the salt trade from a friendly local please PM me as this is one skill with the long rod that I would love to get the hang of as I get to the coast with my work quite often and would a fix while away from the Vaal.............

Hoping to hear from you......
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

5 grunter is something special man! Those things are measly pickings on fly! not many okes i know have caught them at all! Well done! As for the yellowtail??Yellowtail kingfish?? We can hit the bay in durbs on monday morning early if you're keen..gotta go really early though cos of the cops giving sh*t lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Greetings to you all. Been gone for a while.

Just got back from 5 days in Richardsbay.tried my rod at salt water (again) with very little success.
    It was not fishless with one yellowtail and 5 grunter (all under 700g) being caught.
    I have tried to gather more info on the subject to help me but still I feel at a total loss when trying.

I am off to Dbn for a week on sunday for work and then to Umhloti for a week of holiday with the family then back to pinetown for 3 more days work
    .If any one could help an addict out who wishes to learn the salt trade from a friendly local please PM me as this is one skill with the long rod that I would love to get the hang of as I get to the coast with my work quite often and would a fix while away from the Vaal.............

Hoping to hear from you......

Bliksem did you manage 5 grunter on fly in one trip.

Been to the coast for the second time to try the salt this past weekend. Although the conditions were terrible i still tried but without any luck.

Would like to second this thread about tips on swiffing.
    Can't we move this to the Saltwater threads? and not the NZ one?
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

Beginners Luck

I once had the privelage of fishing with a chap whos name i cant remember in PE and he said that the thing with grunter is a small fly.

It worked for me
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Beginners Luck

I once had the privelage of fishing with a chap whos name i cant remember in PE and he said that the thing with grunter is a small fly.

It worked for me

Beginners Luck !!! so I surpose those GT's you picked up yesterday where also beginners luck

Did you give the blind canals a good go in richards bay? They are picked with some strange fish - kob (bit early maybe), garrick (also maybe a bit early), skates, grunter, flathead, pickhandle barracuda and some decent mullet.

I tried the steel bridge, naval island and other supposed wonder spots and didnt have much luck but the blind canals produced everytime.
    Check your knots!