Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing from a boat

Default Fly Fishing from a boat

Hi guys, do any of you have some tips and locations on Fly Fishing from a boat around the Strand area.

I got the idea of rowing along the reefs towards Gordons bay with a croc. If you look at the reefs on google earth you will be amazed at the extent of these. blakes is only the tip of the iceberg - and further up towards habour island galjoen and cob also come out often. all I need now is free time!

Hi Will, i did take a look at google earth and it does look promising. I suppose the bulk one would target is Elf and Leeries. I have no idea how to catch galjoen and cob. Fishing Skie around Blakes would be very productive. My only fear of those things are the sharks.

Hi Pierre

I have a boat, you show me where I'll take you there. I have always used the spinnermen as a guideline, not that I have had great luck with a fly rod from a boat in False Bay. They will normally fish off the steep rocks around the coast. I try to read the article "Fish n Chirps" by Art Ridgeway in the Helderberg mail on a Thursday. This gives an indication of what the spinners are doing.

Hi Mike, I think Philip is the knowledgeable one here. Not sure what his experiance is from a boat. But he does have a good knowledge of the reefs out at Blakes. Like to know what the potensial is with a boat. The bigger fish do hold out at the reef. I am not sure about drifting a boat there, safety wise. I'll chat to him, sounds like we can put something together.

There is a guy by the name of Alan Stewart who I have been out with a few times. He usually launches at Gordons Bay, and is an extremely experienced guy, especially when it comes to targeting Yellowtail.

It has been many years since I have been out with him though and have lost contact. Perhaps you'll find him in the telephone directory, failing which, get in touch with Ron Flack-Davison who should definitely be listed. Ron will be able to put you onto Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Will, i did take a look at google earth and it does look promising. I suppose the bulk one would target is Elf and Leeries. I have no idea how to catch galjoen and cob. Fishing Skie around Blakes would be very productive. My only fear of those things are the sharks.
    Luckily a croc can take reasonable rock abuse and is much more stable than a ski, so you can cruise the shallow reefs with more confidence. I would feel vulnerable in it out in the open tho. My boet and I were visited by a 4m great white last year while gooing bait to elf about 100 metres behind the breakers at Swartklip. Even from a ski-boat, this was slightly stressful for me - the boat was hardly a meter longer than the shark!

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Luckily a croc can take reasonable rock abuse and is much more stable than a ski, so you can cruise the shallow reefs with more confidence. I would feel vulnerable in it out in the open tho. My boet and I were visited by a 4m great white last year while gooing bait to elf about 100 metres behind the breakers at Swartklip. Even from a ski-boat, this was slightly stressful for me - the boat was hardly a meter longer than the shark!
    Question, with the new regulations concerning fishing ski's having to be registered with certificates of compliance how does this affect the use of a croc on the sea?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Guys

Concerning the crocs registration dilema i'll find out from my Kayaking buddies and get back to you (sitting in the same "booitjie" with a kayak that needs to be registererd), but under correction from them this registration is a bugger-up to put it mildly, nobody from the goverments side of things were sure what was going on or could give advise on how or when or what... kept on asking how much horsepower on your kayak.....From a locals view the guys fish in what we call the Poort ( right next to the last reefs in front of the slipway/jetty - the area shown on my photo of the Klipvis) most often for cob and elf (and any floatation device goes seems to be the norm), a natural gully formed by reefs on both sides with a sandy bottom, were the fish come in on the tide. The only downside being that its the same spot for freeck waves to occur.

Fishing close in-shore off a boat is always dangerous, also close to reefs. If you don't know the area very well, coupled with the right tides and sea conditions you can find yourself in trouble soon.

I'm not very familiar with the Strand's reef apart from fishing per foot. There is a reef where we swam to on a low tide. Ideal if you could row there and hop off, will probably need two anchors to secure the croc/ski.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast