Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Mens A Nationals 2012 - KZN

Different countries use different criteria. Most have some sort of local ranking list, which is used to determine who are the top ranked anglers. Some countries then have a selection, based on a panel, others have a fishoff amongst the top ranked anglers.

Some also take performance in Worlds into account - as I recall, if you fish for Team USA and come in the Top 20 @ Worlds, you automatically qualify for the next Worlds. For the French, you have to come in the Top 3. This is from memory, is a few years old & may have changed already.

SA has used both selection-based teams in the early 2000's, moving to ranking-based teams more recently. Much of this was due to grumblings from anglers who felt the selections favoured certain anglers. Funny thing is that when we went away from selection to ranking, it was still the same anglers that came out on top, for the first few years.

I feel that a ranking list, over a number of years (i personally prefer 3 to 2), with greater weighting of the current year, is best option. This is what we currently use.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks Gary for all the replies. It would seem as if they have found a a way around the politics

It's a shame Chase did not enter, ( with all due respects to GGY ) because I seriously think this young man is SERIOUSLY GOOD.

Gary , any news why he did not participate ?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Studies oom Herman.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

There are many really good fly fisherman who did not fish nationals this year
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    There are many really good fly fisherman who did not fish nationals this year
    I agree.. There are many good fly fishermen who never fish Nationals!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Thanks Gary for all the replies. It would seem as if they have found a a way around the politics

It's a shame Chase did not enter, ( with all due respects to GGY ) because I seriously think this young man is SERIOUSLY GOOD.

Gary , any news why he did not participate ?
    Politics unfortunately apply in ANY organised event, not only in SA or in fly-fishing. I have spoken to a number of international anglers on this matter.
    Chase is really good, but yes - studies come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I agree.. There are many good fly fishermen who never fish Nationals!!
    Many anglers stay away from the competative side due to many reasons - politics, ethos, costs, etc. Some stay away because perception is better than reality.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Hi Garry

Hope you are well!

I think that is important to mention that although there might be some politics, 99% of the anglers actually enjoy the comp. The spirit between the anglers at this years A nationals was great, and I for one enjoyed it a lot. We fished amazing waters, met some interesting and great people! And - can you believe it - I actually learnt a hell of a lot!

Cheers
    Etienne

As part of the Boland team I would like to give a report back on our recent Nationals in KZN. Also to give a bit of background on what competitive fly fishing is about and hopefully get some more guys and girls involved.

Initially the idea was to fly to Durban 4 days prior to the competition, hire a car and drive up to Kamberg. We realised that this will be quite a costly exercise and would also limit the amount of tackle we wanted to cart along, especially fly tying stuff and all the paraphernalia us fly fishers love. So the decision was made to drive up on Saturday, spend the night in Bloemfontein and then drive the remaining 600 odd km’s on the Sunday.
    The competition was to start on the Thursday so we had two full days to get to know the water a bit better.

Our house at National Heritage Park, really a great place with fun fishing

We stayed at National Heritage Park, a venue we can all highly recommend, especially for those who want to take the family along. This is a great base if you want to fish the local waters and also has a well stocked dam right there. Brian is a great host and made sure we were comfortable.

After a days' fishing it is back to the vice.

Jackal dam and the Little Mooi river were the official practise waters and it was decided to spend more team on the stillwater, mainly to get an idea of the dynamics of KZN stillwaters. We decided to fish different density lines from a Floater to a Di5 Monday morning with different flies. The first session proved that Jackal was more a dam for floaters and intermediates and maybe a Di3 in the deeper holes. Olive, black and brown flies seemed to be the preferred fly colours.

We also went to have a look at the Bushmans river in the Giants Castle reserve to get a feel of the water we would be fishing in the competition. Since we mainly fish streams in the Western Cape we weren’t too concerned about practising on streams and after spending limited on the Little Mooi with not many fish around we headed for Highmoor to fish some more Stillwater.

First Highmoor rainbow, great conditioned and hard fighting.

Impressive, is the least I can say about Highmoor. On my first cast I landed a 5lb well conditioned rainbow and two casts later a 7lb fish.
    Etienne also got a 6.5 pounder and a smaller fish.

Etienne and his beauty.

As we left we spoke to one of the local guys arriving with his tube and he mentioned some 10 pounders being taken.

And another!

On the Wednesday we had to register at the Crane foundation where we stayed for the remainder of the competition. It was great to meet the other teams and the air was filled with excitement.

Just a bit of background on how these competitions work.

Basic Rules

- Barbless flies only.
    - Flies spaced at least 50cm apart.
    - No bead larger than 4mm diameter allowed, only one visible bead allowed.
    - Distance of at least 30m between boats on the stillwaters.
    - Only fished hooked in front of the gill plate scores points.

At these National there were 8 teams present with 5 anglers in each team. After the opening dinner opn the first day, at the captains meeting, anglers are drawn into groups. Each group consisted of 8 anglers, 1 from each of the teams present. The event is fished over five 3 hour sessions and during this event we fished three stillwaters and two river sections.

During the course of the event groups move between different sectors, for example - my group consisting of anglers from Gauteng, Natal, Central Gauteng A and B, Western Province, Northern Gauteng and Mpumalanga started off by fishing the Upper Bushmans river from 9am – 12am Thursday morning, then we moved to Forest Lodge and fished there from 14:30 – 17:30 , then we moved the next morning to Longclaw and Meschlyn in the afternoon. The last session on the Saturday we fished the Lower Bushamns river. On some waters the fishing can become really difficult towards the end of the competition because of fishing pressure.

Boland Team - Werner Joubert, Jaco Maritz, Kobus Kriel, Philip Meyer, Etienne erasmus

Scoring system

Fish are measured in a gutter with a cm/mm ruler sticker in the gutter. The fish is measured from the tip of the nose to the furthest tip of the tail fin and points are scored per fish (100 points in these nationals) and 10 points per centimetre. On the river sections you have a marshal who measures the fish and on the stillwaters the angler fishing with you in the boat measures your fish.

Northern Gauteng Silver medal winners - Ronnie Smith, Gary Steffens, Mark de Jager, Ryan Jardine, Daniel Factor

The angler with most points fishing in your group in a specific session scores 1 point and the angler coming last or blanking scores 8 points (8 anglers per group). If you catch zero, nothing, buggerall you score 8 points. The most important aspect of doing well in nationals – DON’T BLANK. There were plenty blanks during this Nationals and trust me the last 5 minutes of a blank session, after you’ve tried everything imaginable is not a great 5 minutes.

WP took the Gold - Matt Rich, Louis Pretorius, Christiaan Pretorius, Willem Pretorius, Korrie Broos.

How did the sectors fish?

It was our first year as Boland taking part in the A nationals. After day one we were lying in 5th, after day two we moved up to fourth and on the last day we moved into the medals, a third.

Individual Medalists - Adrian Leite (Bronze), Christiaan Pretorius (Silver), Jacques Marais (Gold)

Upper Bushmans (+- 150m long beats)

All Brown trout with bigger fish in the 25cm – 30cm range. I fished beat 5 and took 4 browns – a third, Matt Rich won the session with 7 fish and Mark de Jager from Northern Gauteng took a second, I think with 6 fish.

Forest Lodge

Oh me oh my! 20 minutes into the session I foul hooked a good rainbow in the pectoral fin, 1.5 hours into the session a fish broke me off on the take. A blank, Eina!!! Quite a few blanks here during the competition, the guys targeting the small fish in the margins did really well and I think some guys took 10 odd of these smaller fish in a session.

Longclaw

Oh me Oh me Oh me oh My! Plenty blanks here on the previous day, with lots of guys being broken off. Johan Ferreira fished in my group and lost an absolute beast here. 1.5 hours into the session a fish hammered my fly and ran into some weed where it came off. Another blank, Ouch!

Meschlyn

During the previous 3 sessions 4/5 out of the 8 anglers blanked, luckily I picked up a fish two and a half hours into the session. There were plenty of bass around, but really a great piece of water. I took a third, slightly better.

Lower Bushmans (+- 80m long beats)

Mainly rainbows, with some browns thrown in. We really wanted to do well in the last session and I decided to fish my piece of water inch by inch with as little disturbance as possible. Two browns and a rainbow were fooled by dry flies and I took a first, only one other fish came out and 6 blanks, Eina for the other guys this time!!!!

I would like to thank everyone who helped to make this a memorable event, thanks to the other teams for a great competition and especially my team mates – Kobus Kriel, Werner Joubert, Jaco Maritz and Etienne Erasmus.

Kobus with one of many caught on swinging flies downstream

On the way back we stayed over below Gariep dam and had a great time catching loads of yellows in the afternoon, after a braai and a few vinos we retired rather early, heading back to the Boland early Monday morning.

A great ending to an awesome trip!

Awesome report!! Thanks bud
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678