Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the perfect dry rod

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Remember that the weather does not always play along,so a "dry fly " rod under normal conditions might struggle under blustery conditions.
    Am i right in saying this guys??
    Absolutely right. I fish an 8'4 2wt deep red. It casts a dry beautifully in still conditions, but can be a right sod in strong wind or with a heavy nymph.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Dan is taking a golf bag full of rods Drew, are you gonna be his caddy? :-)
    If by "caddy" you mean organize another pony plus local guide/sherpa at his cost plus 200% mark up for my efforts, then yes.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

hahahahaha tinfoil and 30 rods all packed hahahah!!

the reason why craig and s0me of us use 2 rods (dry and nymph) is the simple reason of comp's. During a comp season we allowed more than one rigged rod, soo by have a nymph and dry rod both rigged saves some time hahahah ya a know a bit obsesive

andrew cant wait bud!!!!!!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Factor View Post

the reason why craig and s0me of us use 2 rods (dry and nymph) is the simple reason of comp's. During a comp season we allowed more than one rigged rod, soo by have a nymph and dry rod both rigged saves some time hahahah ya a know a bit obsesive

Ja I know about competitive fishing and two rods Dan, talking about "normal" fishing ;-) I prefer a slightly faster rod generally so don't have a problem with my limp d1ck dry fly rod unable to turn over a nymph when required ;-). Tenkara is another story ....
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    So are you bringing a different rod for every run that we will be fishing in Lesotho? Do we need to organize an extra pony just for your selection of rods?
    What Danny boy doesnt realise is that he's my packhorse
    Thats why he's riding to the border on the back of the bakkie....
    I figure I can always use that #3 broomstick of his as a walking stick if the going gets tough.

Rods are a very subjective thing though. I once made the mistake of borrowing GGY's magnum for a session in lesotho. After 15min I packed it away adamant that if it was a horse I'd have taken it out back and shot it - not that theres anything wrong with the rod, it and I just disagreed about our days plans... On my return that evening whilst bemoaning faster stream rods I was introduced to Matts #2 ZXL and havnt looked back since In my opinion its a phenomenal single dry rod, but handles much anything you need it to.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Dude, dont lie! You carry two rods on stream cause you like the feel of an SLA squeezed between your cheecks :P
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Dude, dont lie! You carry two rods on stream cause you like the feel of an SLA squeezed between your cheecks :P

hahahahahahahahaha something we just dont tell other people!!! hahahahahaha if i hear any donkey noises from yourside of the tenT, me and christaan are going to brake your #3
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

hahahahahahahahaha something we just dont tell other people!!! hahahahahaha if i hear any donkey noises from yourside of the tenT, me and christaan are going to brake your #3
    Deliverance 2: Lesotho :-) Squeal like a donkey boy! Or should it be Brokeback Donkey?
    Last edited by dlampert; 02-04-12 at 03:47 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Youre welcome to break it bud That POS Tfo Prof series must rank as one of the most dismal #3's on the market. You'd be doing me a favor.
    But I think you'll be too busy spooning Christiaan to worry about whats happening on my side of the tent.

If you are getting the rod for France (world champs) then the chances are that you will not be competing with strong wind and therefore don't need something that will punch a dry into strong wind. I think the TFO finesse is an awesome rod although I've only ever cast one and not actually fished it. Can't go wrong with deep red though. They really are insane rods for their price.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast