Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ross Reels agent in South Africa?

And Graham, i think the point that the Frontier boys were also trying to make, is what happens if you have an issue with your Reel? Are you going to send it back to USA to be replaced?

if you bought locally, you are also paying for the convenience of being able to return those goods easily if required.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I spend a lot of my hard earned cash at my local fly shop (not really local as I need to travel quite a distance to get there) and indeed I get great service from them.

But...

I recently bought a ross reel online. Paid significantly less than buying local. No shipping costs. Duties and Vat came to R137 and I got a $100 fly line for free. Essentially I could have bought 2 reels for the price of 1 in SA if I take into account the free lines. I'll take my chances with the guarantee if that issue ever comes into play.

This is an old debate that is not easily resolved as a lot of interests have to be taken into account. I buy locally (most of my gear), but it would in my view be completely idiotic to pay double $$ for the same product.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I happened to be close (15km or so) to one of our physical stores today and thought I would drop by and pick up a couple of things. Phoned the landline number with no response, called the cell phone number with no response, they obviously didn't want my business today
    That's shocking, you should name and shame StreamX.

Maybe someone was on the phone when you called and then calling on the cell while they were on the phone, didn't really help. Perhaps next time you could leave a message?
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    I spend a lot of my hard earned cash at my local fly shop .
    Whoo hoo! Yay!
    Thanks Jean.
    Regards
    Craig

What's the big deal with Ross Reels? What's wrong with Xploder or Stealth? Available from any reputable local flyshop.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Still think you're getting at 2 for 1?
    Well, since I actually did buy the 2 reels in question, yes, I know I got 2 Evo LT2's with $100 lines on each reel, free backing, and free shipping. And the LANDED cost was R500 more than one reel would have cost me locally.

I also know it's not the same for every product and every store (online or brick and mortar), but the original topic applies.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    And Graham, i think the point that the Frontier boys were also trying to make, is what happens if you have an issue with your Reel? Are you going to send it back to USA to be replaced?

if you bought locally, you are also paying for the convenience of being able to return those goods easily if required.
    I'm well aware of that, and it is a very valid point. I have no problem with handling warranty claims direct. Other views may differ.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3