Thread: Yellowfish feeding in mid water column.

Default Yellowfish feeding in mid water column.

During the past weekend with the Nymphing Master Class, I again realised what a magical fish the SM Yellows are.

The more I fish for the them, the more I realise there is such a lot of similarities with grayling.

The general opinion is that you have to be on the bottom to catch yellows.
    Very few fly fishers fishes in the water column at a specific depth.
    On Sunday afternoon, I had a 20 minute spell where I picked up that the SM where feeding in the water column.
    In a spot of about 1 meter deep, the fish were feeding at about 60 cm from the river bed.

Next time you go and fish for the SM yellows, make sure you have light nymphs and that you every now and again explore the vertical column.
    It was not the biggest fish, 15cm to 30cm, but on a #3 rod, having a fish a minute, it was great sport. Twice I got smoked by a larger fish, but that is part of the fun.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    During the past weekend with the Nymphing Master Class, I again realised what a magical fish the SM Yellows are.

The more I fish for the them, the more I realise there is such a lot of similarities with grayling.

On Sunday afternoon, I had a 20 minute spell where I picked up that the SM where feeding in the water column.
    In a spot of about 1 meter deep, the fish were feeding at about 60 cm from the river bed.

Next time you go and fish for the SM yellows, make sure you have light nymphs and that you every now and again explore the vertical column.
    It was not the biggest fish, 15cm to 30cm, but on a #3 rod, having a fish a minute, it was great sport. Twice I got smoked by a larger fish, but that is part of the fun.
    A good observation Korrie. On Sunday 70% of my fish were on the top dropper ( 3 fly rig ).
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    A good observation Korrie. On Sunday 70% of my fish were on the top dropper ( 3 fly rig ).
    It's that time of year, when late in the afternoon, as the mayfly nymphs begin to move before emergence, that the SM move into the column, often close to the lip of the pocket/run & feed heavily.
    Awesome action, even if there are only a few duns visible. If you know it is going to happen, you can clean up.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Gary

this was in a fairly longish run. with a uniform depth,
    I think the fish had a lovely time, looking at the food approaching, picking off the little nymphs, one by one.
    It makes you wonder how many fish are swimming in the Vaal, when you are hitting a pod like that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi Korrie was this at Eastco on Sunday ? I might have seen you there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simpkins View Post
    Hi Korrie was this at Eastco on Sunday ? I might have seen you there ?
    Richard,
    Yes.

After the Nymphing Masterclass we went to the otherside of the Island.
    We tried a couple of the runs, getting the odd fish, then we got the this one long run/glide.

As mentioned, the fish was not big, but on a #3, and thin tippets, it was a real pleasure.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post

Hi Korrie,

Apologies, I'm v v busy business-wise hence no recent messages. Yes Grayling for which I've flyfished for with E.G. weighed Red Tags since 1959, feed in a similar fashion - but SM Yellows have about twice the pace. Rather like comparing a Grannie in a saloon versus Stig in a Maserati...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Hi Chris

that is why they call grayling - the lady of the stream. (but you know that)

to compare them with the Stig is about right.
    I was smoked by a couple that were to big for the #3 and the thin tippet.

I am contemplating when next time I hit the pods like that to fish with a semi open hook. Long line releasing the fish, as 90% of the fun is fooling the fish to take the fly and the first 2 to 5 meters.
    The long line release might be a serious option.
    Korrie Broos

Hi Korrie,

Great to hear from you again mate!

Yes as you'll know the dear old grayling smell like thyme (relax, guys...) hence why the Romans repeated their name for the fish!

I used to catch them on weighted fly using an old split-cane Avon 'coarse' fishing rod with 4lb nylon (just after nylon was invented for fishing..). Nowadays guys store their fly line on the reel and think it's cool fishing with 23 foot leaders...

XX
    Great to hear from you!

PS Jasper, Nick and friends, I was down in Sleepsville a few weeks ago but I was bogged down on business and didn't have a chance to do the proper stuff like calling my mates, apols!

Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)