Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

Hi all

I have a few questions here.

1) How do you tie a bimini twist without the loop becoming a twisted tangle. Please don't say practice makes perfect as I watched multiple Youtube videos and then tied over 100 biminis to try and get it right.

2) I have finally broken my 4 years of fishless saltwater fly fishing and have now caught over 40 leeries, however I have only caught leeries. I will probably be at infanta for the weekend of the 27th April. How difficult is it to catch Blacktail/cape stump on fly. I don't even want to attempt grunter yet. How would you target blacktail or stumps?

3) Will there still be sharks and kob around? In other words would it be pointless to take R&S tackle or not?

4) I have a fishing kayak so I am quite versatile in terms of where I can get to to fish. Any good spots would be very welcome, however if it is secret I understand .

Any info appreciated

Dave

Sorry just realised I didn't log my dad out. This is actually dtayl13.
    Last edited by Mike Taylor; 05-04-12 at 08:53 AM.

1. Its pretty easy, you need to keep some pressure on the knot with one hand as you slide your fingers up the loop with the other. Best would be for someone to show you in person. Having said that, unless you are doing bluewater fishing you probably don't need a bimini?

2. Casting a small salty bugger or crazy charly around gullies you will easily pick up a host of species. if conditions are right indicator nymphing with a mustard caddis (or similar) in gullies is also extremely effective

3. can't help

4. can't help
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Hi there

I'll try and answer you.....

1. It really should not be twisted in the loop itself. The main line will have some twist just below the knot and this is not a problem. For our day-to-day kind of fishing you won't need to put a Bimini anywhere in the rigging. Where are you using it?

2. For these I would use small Gotcha type flies over the flat reefs around the mouth area. I would however spend my time looking for the Grunter - these are not difficult at all. The reason why people don't catch them is because they spend half an hour without success and give up.

3. This I don't know.

4. For Grunter you can simply look for tails....

Enjoy the trip!!!!

MC

Thanks a lot that's all really helpful.

I don't need a bimini it's just another knot which I am trying to learn It might come in useful one day.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Booger Rose Banned User

3. definately worth it to take your R&S. KObbies will be around.

Out of curiousity, has anybody found an application for the bimini twist in fly fishing?

In over 40 years of fly fishing fresh and salt I've yet to find a worthwhile purpose for a bimini twist.
    Last edited by William Ewels; 05-04-12 at 11:41 AM.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Howzit All,

Useful link to tying fishing knots for all newcomers.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

PS - a very interesting knot similiar to Bimini Twist is the Aussie braid knot - I thought Bimini was difficult... Fot those whose wives knit... LOL

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Out of curiousity, has anybody found an application for the bimini twist in fly fishing?

In over 40 years of fly fishing fresh and salt I've yet to find a worthwhile purpose for a bimini twist.
    Hi William...

I use it quite a lot in the salt - when targeting large kingies off the beach, or on my Marlin, Sailie and some offshore leaders (have not had the Marlin and Sailie leaders tested yet - maybe Jan 2013 when I am back in Kenya ). I use the Bimini to create a loop on both ends of my class tippet, then use those double lines to tie onto the shock tippet on the one side, and to create a surgeons loop on the other side to attach to butt section of the leader (for shore fishing), or directly onto fly line loop for the billfish.

Incidentally, I have also used the Bimini successfully in freshwater as well. When I lived in the UK, I fished every weekend (Sat and Sun) and thrived on fishing with tiny buzzers (#16 to #22) on 3lb line on a 3wt. On the one day during the evening rise, I was getting smashed on every cast on the 3lb tippet while fishing a wind lane at about a 5m range. Spent more time tying leaders that evening than fishing. After getting smashed about 5-6 times, I tied a bimini onto the 3lb tippet with loose wraps to create a spring effect. This worked like a charm and the biggest fish I landed that evening was about 2kgs.

(Also use the bimini extensively for tying leaders on conventional gear when fishing for sharks, Garrick and jig and drop in the sards- when I get a chance that is which is only about 1-2 times a year )

You could try the bimini on your ultra light fishing - perhaps land one of your elusive kings or Kahawai on a 4lb tippet - that should be awesome. You may be surprised to know that there are some Sailie records on 6lb line.

Take care and tight lines.
    Sudesh
    Last edited by Sudesh Pursad; 05-04-12 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    2. ... I would however spend my time looking for the Grunter - these are not difficult at all. The reason why people don't catch them is because they spend half an hour without success and give up.
    MC
    You're joking, right?

Please say that you're joking!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    You're joking, right?

Please say that you're joking!
    Nope, he aint...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast