Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fatal Shark Attack

Quote Originally Posted by gripit View Post
    Let me just start by saying i do not have any of the right answers. But here is another thing to think about.

While a agree with 90% of what you have said. My question to you is with all the chumming in the area are we just not moving the sharks closer to the Humans. See any predator has a hunting area and by us "calling the Shark" out of his normal area. Then we are surprise when he does not swim all the way home again and start looking for food close by ? Either way my fear is that at the end of the day Sharks are going to end up paying the big price. As fear make people do strange things.

Condolences and thoughts to David's friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Their hunting area is from backline to the shore, and they are constantly in there, especially at high tide.

We have hooked numerous great whites in this area, and one particular one that toxic hooked, swam right into the sloep in the shorebreak at macassar (ie where it goes from angle to thigh deep in a footstep or two). We just noticed the slack line, Kevin reeled it in till it went tight in the sloep, he struck, and this thing went for the horizon and snapped him straight away. (disclaimer: they are hooked by mistake as it is illegal to catch great whites and you can't help it if they eat the bait- just watch as they jump and snap you off).

The point is, that we are not drawing them closer to humans - the place in the sea where humans play, is the shark's natural area to prey and has always been cos that's where the fish are and the seals hunt.

I remember as a lightie (12yrs or so) getting a chopper flip from Mosselbay to Plett. Back then I remember seeing what seemed to be thousands - I'm sure it was closer to hundreds - of big dark shadows just behind the backlines of many of our favourite beachbreaks. I was so nervous it took me months before I surfed on the long open beaches of the SCape again.

Thing is, the Whites have always been there. There are photos somewhere of my grandad with a White caught on a kite setup years ago. Caught just behind the surf on a big dead bait.

What has changed is huge increases in numbers water users and continual depleting of fish stocks. We're coming to them more and more. As I said, let us loose in a Big5 park and see how it takes before someone is attacked.

But I don't think there is a simple or easy answer. I agree about worrying that the shouts to cull sharks will soon (if not already) be heard.

Sorry i think i was missed understood at no point do i think any dolphin is a good shark repellant.
    Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    I think, for a Great White, a dolphin is food
    Noted fly fishermen Lefty Kreh was once asked by a non-fisherman whats the sense was of catching fish just to let it go. He responded, “Do you burn your golf balls after a game?”

As a Dive Master and surfer I know the risks we take going into the ocean. It is the domain of the shark, the oceans apex predator. I don't think the chumming alone can be blamed. You here about shark attacks like the ones in Port st Johns and surounds. And a couple of years ago in Buffalo bay. There were no chumming done. It is in the nature of the Shark to be where ever he wants to be searching for food and when he sees something that elates to a food source, he goes in for a bite. I believe on humans it is mistaken identity, but the bite is so severe in cases of death that the victim bleeds to death before he/she can be helped.
    Looking for excuses is not the answer, we have to accept that the ocean belongs to them.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    As a Dive Master and surfer I know the risks we take going into the ocean. It is the domain of the shark, the oceans apex predator. I don't think the chumming alone can be blamed. You here about shark attacks like the ones in Port st Johns and surounds. And a couple of years ago in Buffalo bay. There were no chumming done. It is in the nature of the Shark to be where ever he wants to be searching for food and when he sees something that elates to a food source, he goes in for a bite. I believe on humans it is mistaken identity, but the bite is so severe in cases of death that the victim bleeds to death before he/she can be helped.
    Looking for excuses is not the answer, we have to accept that the ocean belongs to them.
    This is true, very true.

Us humans does invade spaces and then believe that we own it.

Swim in the Limpopo River and you may get mistaken for food by a croc.
    Walk close to a river or dam in the bushveld and you might cut off a hippo from their return path to safety and get in trouble.
    Swim anywhere in the Ocean and you might get mistaken for food by a shark.

It is their natural domain, which we share not own at all.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Old wifes tale - dolphins do not protect humans against sharks. They are predators, if there is food they hunt, normally the same food as sharks! Please do not jump into sharky waters to swim with dolphins because you believe they will protect you!

Sad about attack - condolences to family!
    Exactly. A friend of mine was quite badly injured by wild dolphins off Plett. He had three ribs broben, and nearly drowned. He jumped into the water near a pod, and a single dolphin left the pod, circled him, and flicked his tail next to him, and.....ya, three broken ribs. Don't ever jump into the water near wild dolphins...they are dangerous.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Exactly. A friend of mine was quite badly injured by wild dolphins off Plett. He had three ribs broben, and nearly drowned. He jumped into the water near a pod, and a single dolphin left the pod, circled him, and flicked his tail next to him, and.....ya, three broken ribs. Don't ever jump into the water near wild dolphins...they are dangerous.
    So you would give up the opportunity to possibly have a swim with wild dolphins because of the very slim chance that they might intentionally injure/attack you? no thank you

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    So you would give up the opportunity to possibly have a swim with wild dolphins because of the very slim chance that they might intentionally injure/attack you? no thank you
    No, not because there is a slim chance of being injured, but because they are wild animals, and should be left alone. Besides, it's illegal to come within 50 meters of wild dolphins in SA waters, unless you have a special permit.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I'm gonna show this post to all my friends that call me chicken when I say that I hate ocean!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4