Thread: Sinking line advice

Default Sinking line advice

Hi all

I'm going on a trip to Zambia for tiger fishing in August. I'm new to fly fishing and I'm struggling to get the right advice on which sinking line I should use.

I have a 5/6 xplore classic with the xpla II reel.

Any advice would be appreciated

Tx

Hi there,

In my experience, a sink tip line is much nicer to use than a full sinking line because the floating running line does not tangle as easily and the line can be mended a bit too.

On the last trip i used the airflo depthfinder 400 grain sink tip, but i think this might just snap your 5/6wt if you tried to cast it (your rod might be a bit light for the large and medium sized tigers). You could also get away with the 200grain depthfinder which might be a bit more manageable on your outfit. It is still a pretty fast sinker.

If you don't want to use the sink tip option, i have lso ued the Airflo Sixth Sense Di7 for tigerfish which works well. The non stretch in the line will help you setting the hooks when the fish takes.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Wow thanks for the advice

I also have a 8/9 with sinking line on it but the 8/9 is a heavy bugga, and I find fatigue sets in pretty quick. I'm gonna take both rods with me.

The heavy line for the 5/6 should also be able to catch bass and trout....

Will the di7 from airflow do the job?

Fly fishing is expensive so I'm trying to acquire line for various species and circumvent buying line of every type of fresh water fish out there.

Let me know if di7 will be the correct choice

One word of advise with sinking line.Have a few practice casts on a field somewhere before you go on your trip.You will soon realize there is a casting adjustment needed with these line to make them work for you.It helps little to have the right line but wrong use.
    I would suggest to go to a shop where you can cast a sink tip versus a full sink.Sinking line should not be false casted like floating line,they leads to many disasters.On water its harder than on land because you have to retrieve the line from the depths,but land based practise casts will just give you an idea of how the line works in the air and how to get it out properly.
    I would suggest a few lessons as this could be your best bet for success,otherwise you could end up a very frustrated angler.Just my2c

IMHO the DI7 is the right line for the job.

If you are wanting to get a more general line for your 8/9wt it might not be the best, however. The cover tends to get soft in the heat, and then sometimes the core pulls through, effectively ruining your line. The sinktip line has a drawback in that you are not immediately connected to the fly once it land in the water and you have to pull the line straight before you connect, which can lead to a few lost fish. It also sinks slower than a DI7. The benefit of the sinktip is that it casts easier and is more durable.

If I were you I'd leave the 5wt at home.

Hope this helps.

Yup, leave the 5wt at home, unless you are planning to target tadpole sized tigers. You simply not going to be able to cast the large weighted flies that you need for tigers, as well as the wire trace you going to need, especially as a beginner. Regarding the line, you need to find out how you are going to be fishing. For instance, will you be fishing accross a flowing current from an anchored boat? If so, a DI7 isnt going to do the job. The line will curve downwards as the fly will sink faster than the line , causing a bow in the line, and you will miss all your strikes. You need the heaviest line possible, in order to keep it straight towards the fly, this way, you will have easier hookupos. Once you are a little more experienced, then try the sink tip option, but until then, I would reccommend a full sinker, about 300 grain, but learn to cast it first. You also going to need the stiffest rod you can find, in order to get maximum purchase from the strike. A soft rod isn't going to allow you to strike hard enough, let alone cast the heavy line and fly.
    Anyway, this is my take on it, you going to get many different views, but at the end of the day, tigers are not trout or bass...they need to be hit hard, so without the right kit, you might not be able to maximise the best of the trip.
    Anyway
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.